MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How Can I Make Textures Wrap Around 3D Objects More Realistically In Cinema 4D?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Matthews
How Can I Make Textures Wrap Around 3D Objects More Realistically In Cinema 4D?
on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:41:25 pm

Hi, I'm a C4D newbie and I'm having trouble using textures. Basically, what I'm trying to do is emulate the animation by Andrew Kramer called Biohazard, which he created using his Element 3D plug-in for After Effects. I have the biohazard 3D object already created in C4D, but when I add a texture to it I get unwanted results, such as striping and/or a generally unrealistic look on certain sides of the 3D object. I've followed several tutorials but none really solve the problem. I've already tried changing the projection to cubic, but it still looks bad. Was wondering if there are any tips for making textures wrap around objects better? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
Re: How Can I Make Textures Wrap Around 3D Objects More Realistically In Cinema 4D?
on Aug 7, 2012 at 4:11:31 am

You can always look into some UVW mapping tutorials, where you basically "unwrap" your object into a flat surface, then texture it in Photoshop.

To see tutorials, articles, tips, free stuff, and more visit my post-production blog at http://thekellzone.com

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
Re: How Can I Make Textures Wrap Around 3D Objects More Realistically In Cinema 4D?
on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:43:32 am

That sounds good, will try that, thanks very much! :-)

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Aug 7, 2012 at 11:24:44 am

Hi, do you have a tutorial on UVW Mapping? Found a couple on YouTube but they don't really explain enough. Also, if the object is textured in Photoshop, can it then be animated? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Aug 9, 2012 at 7:44:15 am

Here's a tutorial I did for my blog that should help you out with the UVW mapping. http://thekellzone.com/?p=160

To see tutorials, articles, tips, free stuff, and more visit my post-production blog at http://thekellzone.com

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Aug 9, 2012 at 9:51:46 am

Hi, thanks, yeah I watched a bit of that tutorial along with a few others and together they helped me a bit, but there was still one or two small things that eluded me. I think I managed to unwrap the object and also managed to draw an outline around each polygon and save it. Did some work on it in Photoshop then loaded it back into C4D, but didn't know how to get that image back onto the object. How do I do this?

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:05:04 am

Load that texture on to your object and then make sure the Projection (in your texture tag) is set to UVW Mapping.

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:23:00 am

Do you mean load it onto a new material in the colour section of the material editor as you would normally do in standard layout? I think I did that, but had to drag the material onto each side of the object. I covered each polygon with a texture image in Photoshop, so that the texture only covered the parts inside the lines of the polygons and nothing else. When I loaded that onto a new material it didn't cover the material sphere completely. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I noticed that you could load a texture back into the little viewport on the right of the screen in UV Edit mode, where the object is originally unwrapped. I did this but couldn't get it back onto the object. Need more specific instructions with this bit I think.

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:33:51 pm

What type of texture are you talking about? If you are mapping some canned image and it's just not fitting well, I'd resort to more primitive surfaces/textures and work those over -- it will ultimately provide the best look and additional flexibility.

But if you're doing a quick and dirty, like wrapping an "Earth" image around a sphere, then you'll need to massage the source in Photoshop ... CS6 has Wide Angle filter that you might be able to use (it can be used to go both ways).

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Aug 31, 2012 at 1:02:19 pm

Hi, yeah I was trying to map a canned texture image. For now though I've decided to stick to presets until I learn a little more because as you say they look better. Thanks :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]