MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Net render copying across network

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GoldbergNet render copying across network
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:13:47 pm

Hi Guys,

We've been using net render in our current setup for a while, and it's worked great.

Our current job is creating issues. Here's the situation.

We have 2 fast render machines located at office A. I'm working remotely at home.

My machine is the server (we've done this this way after testing using the render machines as server, but the reverse worked faster). Normally the time needed to copy the files back to my machine where the results folder is, is about 10 minutes for a 5 second shot at HD res. Our current shots are about 20 sec's plus, and the copy time is becoming a problem. The renders are happening very fast. Here's what I noticed. First I set the output file type to quicktime, and each frame was rendered as a .b3d file, copied to the results folder. When all the files were there, it compiled a .mov. I noticed that each .b3d file was approx 17mb, and this took about 20 sec's per frame to copy across the network (I'm remotely connected to our office network via broadband). I thought maybe using .png sequence or even .jpg sequence would save time. The .png frame was only about 1.5mb. Big difference. The problem is even though I was set to .png, C4d was creating a .b3d file - copying that across the network, then converting it to .png.

So, can anyone suggest a way to speed up this process, or eliminate the creating of .b3d files as an intermediate step? Thanks for any suggestions, lots of shots to get through.
(c4d, v13)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved