MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Switch modelling programs?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas PascavageSwitch modelling programs?
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 10:27:48 am

ive grown rather decent in c4d with only minor problems here and there, however i think i wanna try to catch up to pixar. i have access to maya,and own c4d r12, so the question is... should i make the switch? i want optimum photorealism and i want complete unfettered control over every aspect in my models, but i dont wanna lose things like motors, connectors, and cloners (omg theyve made everything soo much easier as far as animation shortcuts) but i guess the big question is professionalism. and maya has renderman. PIXAR'S renderman. so here it is, can c4d mess with maya in that aspect? i know about cineman and how its supposed to be a renderman substitute, but mine must be messed up cuz everytime i try to use it i get a 'cannot find prman.exe' but thats another story. since ive never used it, i gotta go with ppls input cuz i cant see it for myself. and if possible, can someone show me something fantastic outta cineman? i havent gotten to the export process which is another issue separate from this, but i just dnt wanna plow ahead with cinema and find out maya was where it was at the whole time

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Switch modelling programs?
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 6:16:36 pm

I think Maya uses a plugin bridge to renderman, so does C4D. On the modelling front - nothing gives you unfettered control over every aspect of your model - there would not be maya to mudbox and maya to zbrush workflow tutorials (etc.) if that were true, but what you use as the main modeller depends on what your pipeline is going to be and your personal taste. Use them both if you have access to both.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Switch modelling programs?
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:50:29 pm

As Brian said, Cineman is just a bridge to renderman compliant renderers. I think for most people that's not something you want to mess with, as they tend to be much more difficult to deal with. You really have to know something about scripting to get anything out of them, in my limited experience.

If you're looking to upgrade rendering you might consider vRay which is available for Cinema.

Return to posts index

Thomas PascavageRe: Switch modelling programs?
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:09:51 pm

alright i appreciate that, imma deff look into them. the shots they showed on their site are exactly what im after so imma look into that. =D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved