MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Particles don't render the same way twice - need to pick up where I left off

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyParticles don't render the same way twice - need to pick up where I left off
by on Jul 28, 2012 at 11:47:24 pm

I know this has come up before and I understand baking may be a considered solution but it would take a long time to cache so I'll ask first...

I rendered a 1000 frame animation (I started rendering at frame 100 to have the particles fill the area) with particles from a standard emitter. The particles have a dynamics tag on them and can collide with several objects in the scene. The render went on through the night however stopped because I ran out of disk space. When I cleared some space and re-rendered from where I left off (Frame 646), the particles were in a completely different position than progressing from frame 645, even since the render had to preprocess the particles up to that point prior to showing me anything....still didn't work. The project/document length time was kept the same. I don't have the time to rerender the whole thing in one shot, need to find a way to pick up where I left off. I am using the same computer for the original rendering.

Any advice? Would caching the dynamics fix this? And what about baking the particles...it seems to do it awfully fast, does this do anything? Should I do both?

Many thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Particles don't render the same way twice - need to pick up where I left off
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 11:34:34 pm

I'm pretty sure you can get away with just caching the dynamics, but I'd recommend caching the particles first as well. You'd still need to re-render from the beginning though, I don't think there's any way around that.

One benefit of caching should be painfully evident at this point, but another is that you can then distribute the render using NET Render if you have access to more than one machine.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Particles don't render the same way twice - need to pick up where I left off
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:47:13 am

Thanks for that Darby.

So it sounds like if I would have cached both particles, then dynamics on the beginning, I would have the same run of particles and collisions no matter how may times I render it and from any frame?

The key is to do this before I even render the first time though, correct?

Thank you again,
Brian

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Particles don't render the same way twice - need to pick up where I left off
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:36:00 pm

[Brian Murphy] "
So it sounds like if I would have cached both particles, then dynamics on the beginning, I would have the same run of particles and collisions no matter how may times I render it and from any frame?

The key is to do this before I even render the first time though, correct?"

Yes. I always cache before I render. It's absolutely essential in a distributed render and is incredibly helpful when issues such as yours arise.

I believe if you only cached dynamics you should still get the same rendered result every time, but the particles (which are essentially locators in space that don't render) would appear in different places. For sanity's sake I'd cache both so that it looks entirely predictable.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]