MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

PLA Keyframe Falloff

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris ArnoldPLA Keyframe Falloff
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:31:38 pm

The past few years Mograph has received all the attention for effectors with falloff for crazy results. But every now and then we get bored of seeing cloned cubed animations.

I have a single object whose polygons have been extruded and matrix extruded for a really awesome abstract look. The Polygons have been animated into several states using PLA keyframes. I'd like to use a falloff to sweep past to switch between different PLA keyframes.

I looked into making mograph effectors as a child of the polygon object and changing the "deformation" mode to polygons or points, but that's not working.

A second option, which I have gotten to work but through quite the setup, is using the morph deformer with morph tags. Every separate PLA state must be set as a pose in a separate tag with different morph deformers linking to a separate morph tag. Even getting this to work, it's quite the setup and has issues.

There must be another way? A plugin I don't know about. Mograph has been getting all the love but for simple things like falloff with polygon animation, C4D makes it difficult. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: PLA Keyframe Falloff
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:21:11 pm

I guess I don't understand why you can't use a single morph tag, record all the pose sliders, and then use a morph deformer to reveal the animation.

Another option would be to record the PLA, add a point cache tag, cache the animation, duplicate the object, delete the animation from the duplicate, and then use a Character>Point Cache deformer with falloff to transfer the animation.

Return to posts index

Chris ArnoldRe: PLA Keyframe Falloff
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:23:40 pm

Thanks Adam. I got this to work. I have never used the Point Cache deformer before or never knew about since it's in the Character menu in R13, something I don't frequent.

The basic workflow. For each different PLA state duplicate the object and have only that single keyframe. Attach a point cache tag to each of those objects and bake the cache. This will bake then single state through all the keyframes. Then on the object I want to deform you can apply multiple Point Cache deformers to it each link to a separete point cache. This method allows the point cache's to blend into each other as seen in the image attached.

Why not use a single morph tag? The way the morph deformer is setup in R13, which is really silly, is the morph targets are directly linked to the morph tag. Even having multiple morph deformers, and changing a target on on of them will update to use the same target on all the other deformers. So quite useless hence why I was attempting to have multiple tags and multiple deformers. And like I said, even though somewhat working, has limitations and issues.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: PLA Keyframe Falloff
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 8:52:38 pm

Cool! Glad I could help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved