MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

staggering animation with xpresso

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patricia Leonistaggering animation with xpresso
by on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:52:40 am

Hi -

This is difficult to explain, so I will try my best. I have a series of objects with align to spline tags. I would like to use xpresso to start one animating position from 0-100. When that one gets to about 50% I'd like to trigger the next one to start animating from 0-100 etc.

I'm trying to do this as much as possible with xpresso so if in the future I need to change things because of the client, I don't have to wade through endless keyframes.

I've tried creating a function that loops from 0-100 to use as the driver for the align to spline position with no success really.

Even if I got that working, I'm not sure how to trigger each one stagger the start of the animation. I'm used to programming in ActionScript and I could solve this pretty easily there. I just can't seem to figure it out with xpresso.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: staggering animation with xpresso
by on Jul 22, 2012 at 8:38:32 am

You can do this with expresso in a few ways. Like using an object list and a math node connected to time...

However using Mograph might be a better choice. You would animate the first one then use the step effector to offset the time. You can use the spline effector and animate the offset to get the "align to spline" effect.

Return to posts index

Patricia LeoniRe: staggering animation with xpresso
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 4:10:06 pm

Thanks Randy - I was trying not to use Mograph. I have it but my client doesn't so if they ever worked on the files there would be problems...

Trying to do it with JUST xpresso. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: staggering animation with xpresso
by on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:37:09 am

I would drop the align to spline tag and do it with xpresso.
Heres how:

Then you can use an object list to iterate the functions.
Time node and a math node should get the offset for you.
Or you could use the memory node but I like math nodes cause the memory node just confuses me.

Return to posts index

Ryan BrotherstonRe: staggering animation with xpresso
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:25:05 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Hey Randy, would the Mograph step effector work on staggering a colour change on cloned objects... Specifically, I have set up some dominoes on a spline using the cloner, and I need each one to change colour as they topple... the colour change itself would be the same for all, just that it needs to be staggered over time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved