MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

luminous exclusion

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Stirretluminous exclusion
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:29:55 pm

How is it possible to keep the luminosity from a shader off of another object. I have a ship using luminosity within and engine part and GI is generating on a nearby object that I don't want to. This has perplexed me for some time. Its no problem to keep a light source from affecting an object; but this luminosity thing has me stumped.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: luminous exclusion
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36:15 pm

add a Compositing tag to the object you want to exclude from the GI, go to the GI tab there, Enable GI Parameters (check it) and set Intensity Ratio to 0%

Return to posts index

Jason StirretRe: luminous exclusion
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 4:12:56 am

Hi Brian,

A quick question...I have a compositing tag set already and if I set the ratio to 0% then the object receives no GI at all. I want GI just not the remnants of light from my luminous material nearby. Is there a way to to achieve this without the pain of setting alternative lighting for the object?

Thanks for your help man!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: luminous exclusion
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 1:44:54 pm

No, there's no way to exclude one object's GI contribution from another object directly. I can think of a couple things you might try, but neither may work depending on your scene:

1. Put a light inside of your luminous object and restrict it to the object you want to exclude. Give it the same color as your luminous object and then set a negative intensity to try to cancel the light coming from the object;

2. Place a plane or disk between the two objects and give it a compositing tag. Uncheck "seen by camera" in the tag properties.

Ultimately, though, I think you'll probably have to render twice and composite in the object that you don't want affected by the other object's luminosity.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:04:58 pm

Thanks Adam,

I've used the plane method before and seems to work fairly well. Would be nice if the boys at Maxon could implement something to this effect in the future.

Thank you for your expertise, you have always been a help to my work!

Turned out fairly well. But the JPEG doesn't do much justice on the web!

J

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: luminous exclusion
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:47:46 pm

That looks great. Good job.

And excellent suggestion by Brian, below.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: luminous exclusion
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:23:33 pm

another possibility might be to bake the texture of the object to be excluded (with the luminance generator you want to exclude turned off/hidden/luminanace turned off in the material) so it picks up the GI from everything else - then turn the luminant object back on, add the Compositing tag, set GI ratio to 0 again

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:28:37 pm

SNAP! Never thought of that...

Brilliant! Thanks Brian.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]