MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Question about cloth in C4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jules Mazur
Question about cloth in C4D
on Jul 3, 2012 at 12:52:16 am

I'm experimenting with C4D R13 Studio's cloth simulator feature. Among these experiments, is one where a cloth, made from a subdivided plane, falls onto a glass made using a bezier spline and a LatheNURBS. One issue I've had is with the cloth falling partially through the glass, in spite of both the spline and NURBS being defined as cloth colliders; it's hard to explain, so i've included some screenshots. Then, even though I've placed a plane, also defined as a cloth collider, beneath the whole setup, the cloth just falls straight though the bottom plane, and stretches infinitely.
My questions are:
1. How do I get the glass to act as a complete cloth collider (so the cloth won't be seemingly stuck halfway in it), and
2. How can I keep the cloth from stretching infinitely?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Question about cloth in C4D
on Jul 3, 2012 at 3:52:14 am

your cloth has way too many subdivisions, read the '7 Gloden Cloth Rules' in the Help. Applying a collider tag to a spline won't do anything. If the plane under the glass is a floor and not a plane object it won't take a collider tag.

The stretch to the cloth is determined by the settings and those depend on things like the scale of the scene etc (read the 7 rules and the help on cloth in general) so it's hard to tell without seeing the actual scene file.

Return to posts index

Jules Mazur
on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:59:02 pm

When I use fewer subdivisions, the cloth comes out as rough and unrealistic. The plane beneath the the glass is in fact a plane and not a floor, it's just acting as a physical floor to limit the cloth. And as for the glass, I've also applied the cloth collider tag to the LatheNURBS, and made the whole thing an editable object. What now?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 3, 2012 at 3:30:47 pm

like I said I'd have to see the scene file at this point

Return to posts index

Jules Mazur
on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:24:45 pm

I've uploaded the file to my Google Drive. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwUx7aMug0qUdGRVTW9TWDRaYTA

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:07:01 am

The cloth isn't going through the floor plane it's stopping there but then it's being dragged into the glass and that's where most of the cloth ends up, inside the glass between the two layers.

The glass has a hollow tube up it's stem (you did not have the profile spline end points quite on the zero point of the axis. Take that out (or just tweak your original spline a bit so the inside points are right on the axis then lathe it again) and Optimize the glass and make sure the normals are going outward (turn off X-Ray helps).

Return to posts index

Jules Mazur
on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:29:26 am

OK, I closed up the leak in the glass, and flipping the normals did the trick. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]