MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D project with 2D animation

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hanna GustavssonC4D project with 2D animation
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 7:18:02 pm

First time here, so firstly I just want to thank you for an excellent source of information and tips and tricks over the time.

I'm setting up for a project in C4d thats gonna consist of one part 3d objects and one part 2d animation. I'm pretty new to C4D specifically but gradually getting the hang of it overall in 3Dapplications. And i know my way around After Effects.

Thing is my project will consist of a bunch of 3Dobjects, but then I have characters that are 2d drawn, that are supposed to interact with these 3D objects. Like holding a box, or walking, changing expressions. The characters are static 2d images at the time. I will draw some more variations of the face, and additional elements of the character if I have to. My problem is I dont know what technique is best. My first thought was to do the whole 2d animation in after effects with puppet tool, (I find it much easier to do detailed keyframeanimation in AE) render it out and then projecting it on a plane in C4D. But then the workflow is slowed between the apps if I want to change something in the 2Danimation. Has anyone of you worked with the plugin between C4D and After Effects? Would I be able to edit a puppettool animation from an imported AE project in C4D? Or is it possible to go the other way around and export a C4D project to AE, having done the whole 3D animation and have a null or a box instead of the character, and then replace that object in AE with a AEcomp with the characteranimation that inherits the coordinates?

or has anyone of you worked with any neat techniques dealing with flat characters(planes), or animating textures with alpha in C4D?

Any help is very welcome!

Return to posts index

David BiederbeckRe: C4D project with 2D animation
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 7:25:41 pm

It's always going to be easier to fine-tune in After effects around your 3D Scene. depending on the interaction I would start in cinema and end in After effects.

Honestly I would think of how to simplify the action, potentially making your 3D objects stills with an alpha channel and animating them with the characters in AE.

Cinema is an AWESOME TOOL but sometimes, (especially for projects similar to this) after effects is just easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved