MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Best graphics card for AE and C4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Vander Plas
Best graphics card for AE and C4D
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:00:59 pm

My company is buying me a new Mac Pro (the barely upgraded 2012 one). They are willing to drop a nice chunk of change for it, so I'm pimping it out. I'm going for 12 cores, 64 GB of RAM, and a RAID system. What I'm unsure of is the graphics card. I use After Effects quite a bit, with the very occasional dip into Premiere. I've heard you need a NVIDIA card with CUDA cores to take advantage of Premiere's Mercury Playback engine. I hear it helps with AE too, but I'm not sure how much. I work with a lot of RED Epic footage that is up to 5K, so I'm hoping to find one that will make that more bearable. The real question is, will it work well for Cinema 4D? I'm looking at getting the NVIDIA GTX 285, which I would have to hack to get to work with my Mac Pro.

Basically, if I won't see hardly any benefit in AE and it's not ideal for C4D, I don't care if the NVIDIA card makes Premiere awesome. I'd rather get a card that hauls in AE and Cinema.

Thanks!
Nate

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
Re: Best graphics card for AE and C4D
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:22:30 am

Nate, I don't anything about this stuff, but I'm buying a new system, and it seems like a lot of people are getting the GTX 560 Ti. How did you arrive at the 285 model?

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:03:43 pm

A friend of mine has that card and says it works well for him in Premiere, but he doesn't use C4D or AE. I did find a list of supported NVIDIA cards for CS6 on Adobe's website: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

Return to posts index

Jack Guthrey
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:18:52 pm

Cinema4D doesn't use to GPU to render so picking a card for AE might actually be a better choice.

"Rendering utilizes the CPU and RAM. If the Project fits completely within memory, processing power is the only hardware factor in rendering. If the Project doesn't fit into memory, hard drive speed has some effect due to virtual memory swapping.

Graphics cards won't affect rendering speed, but will speed up the redraw in the Viewport, enabling you to work more interactively with complex Projects."

Personally, I'd go with a Quadro 4000. Here's a list of the GPUs supported under AE on Mac:

GeForce GTX 285
Quadro CX
Quadro FX 4800
Quadro 4000

Jack Guthrey
Carolinas Account Representative
Marshall Graphics Systems

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
on Jun 23, 2012 at 12:16:01 am

It's a bummer there doesn't exist a standard benchmark test for After Effects given that render times are so important.

Return to posts index

David Alex
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:42:20 am

I'd say go NVIDIA. If you can afford it, get a Quadro. If not, get a GTX 670. Best price:performance you can get in the current generation. I'm actually planning to get one of those :-D

Ideas to Creations | Motion Graphics, Visual Effects and Digital Art inspiration, tutorials and much more!
http://ideastocreations.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:48:42 am

Do you think the 6xx are worth it? I was looking at these benchmarks and I think I might stick with a 5xx card.
http://bit.ly/MACEZi

Return to posts index

Mohan Rawat
on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:20:24 pm

I am planning to buy a window based system to load AE, Da vinci resolve, and Nuke2..... May i request to please advise me a workable cost effective configuration........

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]