MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Mograph/C4D Question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff KleinMograph/C4D Question
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:45:21 am

Hello. I'm brand new to C4d. Let's say I have two cubes, one on the left and one on the right. I want to the one on the left to move left 100 units while the one on the right moves right 100 units, both at the exact same time. I want to do this with one set of keyframes (I don't want to put keyframes on both the right and the left cube). What would be the best way to do this.

This clearly isn't exactly what I'm trying to do, just an example. But I figure an answer to this will help me figure out my overall goal, which would be a lot harder to explain.

My first hunch was using a Fracture Object with a Plain Effector. But I was only able to get both cubes to move in the same direction doing this when I really need them to move opposite directions, or more specifically, outwards (further away from the center).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Mograph/C4D Question
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:05:16 am

Easiest way would be to use a symmetry object. You could also do it pretty easily with Xpresso.

Return to posts index

Jeff KleinRe: Mograph/C4D Question
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:18:26 am

Hey Adam, thanks for the response. Tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think a symmetry object would work in my actual example, although it would work in the cube example I gave. So here is more info on what I'm really trying to do.

I have a model of a football helmet that has about 6 screws in the shell of it (they're aren't placed symmetrically from each other). I want to push all 6 of them outward from the helmet 100 units, at the same time.

So I'm thinking if I put some sort of "object" in the dead center of the helmet, and "attached" the screws to it, I could "scale up" that center object and it would push out all the screws evenly. But I don't want the screws to change size, just change position.

Does that make any more sense? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: Mograph/C4D Question
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:39:27 am

First: this is where you use a null object. Always place things that move together into a null and key frame that.

As for a solution if you right click on your key framed parameter under animation you can select set driver.
Then do the same on the 2nd object but select set driven (relative).
Then double click the xpresso tag that appeared on the driven object. Select the Range Mapper and change the Lower output to -100 and that should do what you are looking for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved