MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

merging bubbles

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskinmerging bubbles
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 3:08:13 pm

Hi,

I'm attempting to do an animation where bubbles that hold simple characters (people) merge into each other and grow. As anyone got any suggestions on where to start and how I can achieve this?

I dont have much experience with the C4d but would like to use this programme to do the animation

Cheers

Scott

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: merging bubbles
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 3:42:27 am

Metaballs - an example using a single point for the meatball source (gives a simple round meatball which you control the size with the meatball Hull Value). I put some figures in and made them the child of the meatball geometry but put a Stop tag on so the meatball would not apply to the figure (the meatball would get too big and be very slow with all those points).

4269_metaballtest.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Scott GaskinRe: merging bubbles
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:46:39 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. i tried downloading the C4D file but when I try to open I'm getting 'unknown file format' I am using version 11.5. Are you using a later version?

Thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:27:01 pm

it was a 13 file - if you can work from the description I gave in the text it's pretty easy (though all the 'meatballs' should be 'metaballs' - I'm hoping that's spell correction and not my own spelling) otherwise I could do it again in 10 if you need

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:03:42 pm

Hey Brian,

Many thanks for the quick reply. I have had a play since and your suggestion for using metaballs is a great one. Just gotta do a bit more experimenting so a big thanks again.

I'm wondering if you may be able to answer another question? I explained in my original email about wanting to contain other objects in each bubble . The logical way of doing this is to parent the object inside the bubble so when I animate the movement of the bubble, the object will move accordingly.

Everything works fine until I add the metaball. The size of the bubbles then increase and I cant see my object in the bubble. Hope this makes sense. Basically I'm wondering if there is a way of using the metaball technique whilst being able to parent another object inside my bubble?

Thanks for help with this

Scott

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:05:15 pm

that's what the Stop tag I mentioned above is for - it stops the metaball from affecting the object it's attached to and keeps that object from becoming part of the metaball (increasing it in size and making the object disappear) so the structure should like sort of like this

Metaball
- Bubble
--- Other Object - Stop Tag
- Bubble2
--- Another Object - Stop Tag

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:18:01 pm

Brian, Your a star! Thanks for all your help!

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]