MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Material isn't uniformly reflective? Why?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Material isn't uniformly reflective? Why?
on May 18, 2012 at 5:51:22 pm

Super simple things going on. I have a spline and a lathe nurb creating the pan. I applied a metal material from the default library. In the environment tab I loaded an image to create the reflections. The problem is that only the inside of the pan is becoming hyper reflective. The outside of the pan is somewhat reflective, you can see the environment in it, but it doesn't have the chrome look. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here is the file if you want to take a quick look:
4174_dovepan.zip

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Material isn't uniformly reflective? Why?
on May 18, 2012 at 8:50:26 pm

Just guessing here, but are you using an open spline? My suspicion is that the exterior of your pan may have its normals facing in the wrong direction.

Edit – Checked this out for myself and I'm wrong, should work regardless of open or closed spline. That'll show me for jumping the gun on a response :)

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 18, 2012 at 8:50:37 pm

There's nothing technically wrong with the scene. It just looks flat because the HDRI you're using doesn't have much detail to reflect on the outsides. The inside is reflecting the environment and itself so it's brighter.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 18, 2012 at 9:58:22 pm

Thanks, Darby for taking a look.

Adam, you're right. Thanks for that. I'll see how it looks in the scene and I'll probably have to set up some white cards around it to give the exterior better reflections.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]