MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

I have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WoodI have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?
by on May 15, 2012 at 12:34:43 am

Fun work, right? So I have an extrude Nurbs with over 700 little triangle shapes that I got from an illustrator logo design.

The trouble is, after I extruded the lines to make a 3D object, I can't texture individual little triangles.

I can select the little triangles (under the logo parent) but I can't seem to give them separate colours.

What I'd like to be able to do is select from a range of 5-6 colours, and have them randomly assigned to each triangle.

In case you're wondering, the logo is over 700 triangles that make up a stencil of a word.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: I have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?
by on May 15, 2012 at 4:08:20 am

[Chris Wood] "What I'd like to be able to do is select from a range of 5-6 colours, and have them randomly assigned to each triangle."

Do you have Mograph? You should be able to do this by placing the Extrude NURBs into a Fracture object set to "Explode Segments & Connect" then using a Random effector to vary the color of the objects. You can also use a Multishader on the Fracture object to define specific colors you'd like the objects to chose based on the color assigned by the Random effector.

This is kind of confusing if you're not familiar with Mograph, and kind of impossible if you don't have access to it. The next best thing I could think of would be to make your Extrude NURBs editable and assign different materials to the pieces manually.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: I have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?
by on May 15, 2012 at 4:09:46 am

4139_multishader.c4d.zip

If the extrude is put in a Fracture you can apply effectors, the Random with Color Mode set to On will colours the separate pieces (which may be good enough) in this case the material uses a MultiShader with 5 colours in it. Change the Mode in the MultiShader to change the color balance, you can also change the Seed in the Random effector to get different results - either way it needs to be rendered to see the end colors.

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: I have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?
by on May 15, 2012 at 9:09:44 am

Thank you both, that's excellent advice. I'll give it a try after breakfast :)

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: I have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?
by on May 15, 2012 at 11:23:48 am

This is working, however, once I add the fracture into the random effector my computer becomes extremely unresponsive whenever I try to do anything within C4D. I have an i5 750 and 8GB RAM with a 5750, surely I shouldn't be getting this much lag with such primitive objects? There 652 of them in total, and they're all just simple extruded triangles (so 5 faces)

Any advice here? Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2012 at 11:35:03 am

Also, I have 12 different colours on the multishader, but no matter what, it only seems to choose a few of them. I have the random effector mode to sorted.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9106/screenshot20120515at123.png

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: I have an extrude NURBS with hundreds of Path shapes inside it.. How do I texture them?
by on May 16, 2012 at 12:26:14 am

in the Random's Effector tab set Min/Max to 0 for Maximum and 100 for Minimum

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2012 at 12:22:59 pm

I actually figured it out by changing the fracture mode to "Explode Segments" instead of Explode and Connect.

Here's my final result:

Criticism's welcome.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2012 at 11:21:23 pm

is †here a reason to see the end of the triangles coming out of the pipe? If not, I would cut away before the end of the stream, it's more continuous motion that way.

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2012 at 11:43:01 pm

I'm actually gonna cut the pipe and have something that works a bit better.. Fits the theme.

Thanks for the feedback anyway Brian :)

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2012 at 1:42:51 am

post that too, should be worth a look

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]