MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

compositing geometry "behind" live action footage

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Macarcompositing geometry "behind" live action footage
by on May 14, 2012 at 1:08:10 am

Very new c4d user here...I have a quick shot I'd like to create, but am struggling with the technical execution, in terms of rendering. I know how to handle this in Maya, but can't figure it out in c4d, even after a lot of searching.

Basically, I have a plate where subject is shot from behind, standing in front of a wall, as if she's looking at a painting. Locked off shot, though a dolly will occur in post. I've created and animated 'ribbons' that will originate from her chest area, which is between her in the wall, aka, out of view of the camera and the 3d 'camera.' I have gotten the move and everything all laid out, however, I can't figure out how to 'hide' the bits that exist behind the subject out of view via rendering layers/compositing tags/etc.

Make sense?

Let me know if you can help!

Matthew Macar
DP, Motion Graphics, Editor

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: compositing geometry "behind" live action footage
by on May 14, 2012 at 2:43:10 pm

I believe what you'll want to do is create some simple geometry where the talent is in your shot, apply the Compositing tag to it and check on "Matte Object" in the tag.

Personally I'd prefer to create a matte in a compositing application and render separate passes for the ribbons rather than "bake" the matte into the alpha coming out of C4D, but to each their own :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved