MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

hair render trouble with depth of field

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Stirret
hair render trouble with depth of field
on May 7, 2012 at 5:42:01 pm

Morning!

So, I'm using depth of field with hair render with a unique problem. The hair directly in front of the object look fine and the hairs to the side and back blur. Its not the camera settings, rear or front blur distance. The distances are correct, and I can gauge this by other objects in the picture to the left and right. I have attached another picture I was goofing around with that has done the same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help! J

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: hair render trouble with depth of field
on May 7, 2012 at 8:07:57 pm

Hair doesn't seem to play well with the DOF effect. I would suggest that you use one of the "generate" options in the hair object (other than none) if you want to combine the two. Unfortunately you'll then lose the standard hair shading, but there's a geometry hair shader that works okay.

Return to posts index

Jason Stirret
on May 7, 2012 at 8:58:15 pm

I think I made a goof when I posted this...but I don't know if it makes much of a difference. I'm using fur rather than hair. But I can try your suggestion for another picture I'm working on.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John-Patrick Crowe
on Dec 6, 2018 at 4:35:07 am

Where is this "geometry hair shader" that you say works okay?

- JP Crowe (http://www.jpcrowe.media)

Return to posts index

John-Patrick Crowe
on Dec 11, 2018 at 3:22:00 am

If you want DOF but there is unwanted blurring on some portion of the hair, this is how you fix the hair with unwanted blurring:

1. What I wound up doing to solve this problem is to render a version with no DOF.

2. Then I went to the hair and went to "Generate" and then changed the type to square in order to render an object buffer for the hair (you must change the type to square or triangle in order to create an object buffer for the hair). I used the object buffer on the version with no DOF.

3. Then I rendered a version with DOF but with no hair, and put this underneath.

Return to posts index

John-Patrick Crowe
on Dec 11, 2018 at 3:28:02 am

...not sure if it would work on the above spider as the hair is so thin. I guess it would just depend on how good the object buffers turn out. It worked well for some grass I had in my project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]