MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Two questions! How do I fade a shadow in C4D and why is it only rendering 166 frames out of 200??

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helena Masters
Two questions! How do I fade a shadow in C4D and why is it only rendering 166 frames out of 200??
on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:55:29 pm

I'm making an animated logo which has a soft shadow underneath. I want to fade the shadow out when the text comes in. How do I fade the shadow without effecting anything else?

Also when I render it out, its only rendering the first 166 frames instead of the whole 200 and Im not sure why. Can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Two questions! How do I fade a shadow in C4D and why is it only rendering 166 frames out of 200??
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:18:11 pm

I'm new to Cinema 4D myself, but you could animate the Density parameter of the Shadow for your light object(s).

Make sure in your Render Settings that "All Frames" is selected in the Frame Range.

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
Re: Two questions! How do I fade a shadow in C4D and why is it only rendering 166 frames out of 200??
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:30:04 pm

I managed to work out the frames. Bit strange really - it said it had rendered 166 frames but when I looked it had actually done the whole thing! Thanks for the feedback on that though, I found the 'all frames' you mentioned so will be good to know for next time.

Regarding the shadow, do you mean the intensity of the shadow? I tried keyframing this and it didn't work.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:17:05 pm

If, for example, you have a spot light object casting the shadow, with that object selected you should see a "Shadow" attribute under which the "Density" parameter can be animated. I don't know where the shadow "intensity" parameter is that you are referring to, but again I am new to this.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:19:45 pm

I'm using R13, so if you have an earlier version there may be some differences in naming, or differences in just what parameters are available.

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:35:05 pm

That is a possibility with capabilities as Im using version 11.5

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:32:13 pm

Ah I see where you mean. The intensity was the light source, not the shadow. Still, when I try keyframing the density it wont fade. The shadows either there or not. I've tried looking in forums for ways and no joy - I'm starting to think that maybe Cinema 4D cant do it!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:43:48 pm

Interesting.

I have been playing around with a simple scene with some text, one spot light, and a floor. I have the Shadow attribute set to "Shadow Maps (Soft)," and when I animate the Density parameter the shadow fades out appropriately. Are you using R13? How many lights do you have, and are they all set to cast shadows?

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:54:13 pm

I can fade the light with the density but I want to fade the light whilst its animated. My logo comes in with a shadow which I want to keep there, but then when my text comes in underneath, I want to fade the shadow out so it doesn't show. The problem I have is fading it out during the animation - maybe using keyframes - only the keyframes dont seem to pick up the change in density.

I only have my main light set to have a shadow, the other lights are set to have none so only the one light will be affecting it.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:03:14 pm

It sounds like you have to objects - the logo and the text - which are casting shadows, but you want to fade out the shadow from the text while keeping the shadow from the logo. If that is the case, then you have exceeded my limited knowledge. ;)

Perhaps you will need to render out two animations - one with the logo and its shadow, and one with the text and its shadow fading out - and then composite them in After Effects. Hopefully someone with more expertise can chime in.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:12:10 pm

Thanks for your help. Im planning to do the text in after effects as I thought it would be too difficult to do both with the logo shadow fading, plus my text wont be 3d. Maybe I can try a few things in after effects instead.. Anyway, thanks again :)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:53:17 pm

Density is in the Shadow tab of the light object and it will fade your shadow if you keyframe it to 0

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:06:50 am

Im not sure what Im doing wrong. I have density set at 100% and Im adding a keyframe, then moving it forward a few frames and putting the density to 0% and again setting a keyframe. When I check in render view the shadow is gone from the whole thing. Am I doing this correctly?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:16:10 am

have to see the scene, it works with all shadow types, transparency etc...

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:20:21 am

Does this help at all?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:43:16 am

not much, it's an area light with a soft shadow and here I can keyframe that successfully. What happens if you turn the other lights off and just do the one?

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:48:32 am

I only have the shadow turned on on that one light so the other lights shouldn't affect it? Im using version 11.5 if that makes any difference? I dont get why its not working :/

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 28, 2012 at 1:00:24 am

neither do I... I've tested with 10.5, 12 and 13 (I don't have 11) and it works with all can you post the scene file?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:38:51 pm

Based on the screen shot you posted you don't have any keyframes on the density parameter. If you did then the circle to the left of the word "Density" would be red.

You may know this already, but you can keyframe any parameter by Ctrl-clicking on that little circle. If the circle is filled red then there's a KF at the current frame. If it's outlined red it means that there's an animation track for that parameter but no KF at the current frame.

Another way to fade the shadow would be to render a separate shadow pass and fade it in post. In that case you'd also have to render a blend pass without the shadows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]