MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to place a null at the axis of one face in an object?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
How to place a null at the axis of one face in an object?
on Apr 20, 2012 at 4:31:52 am

The main goal I have in mind is I'd like to use the axis data of this face to put a null. The face is the screen of a phone and i'd like to have a null there so I can render out the null position rotation information to send to after effects to attach a screen to there.

Any ideas how I do this?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: How to place a null at the axis of one face in an object?
on Apr 21, 2012 at 2:32:14 am

I'm not an AE guy and you can do it with xpresso but I don't think you need to, check out this http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2011/12/cinema-4d-to-after-effects-tutoria...

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Apr 22, 2012 at 6:59:24 am

I'm not sure I understand why a compositing tag on the face of the phone with an object buffer does not work?

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:46:24 am

Does it provide position data to parent to in AE? In a tutorial I watched the dude used a null in the middle to get the position data and the object buffer just provided the matte?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:48:58 pm

yes it does, check out the link, even though it's a fairly long tutorial he gets to the bit useful to you fairly quickly

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:58:03 am

Ok watched that tutorial through and that looks like it would work. BUT.... my issue I've realised is this.

I have designed a phone, from a cube. And then I have gone and used the SPLIT tool to get the polygon face that represents the screen as a seperate object.

Now when i'm in polygon mode the axis shows itself as being in the direct center of that polygon. But if I click on MODEL MODE, the axis is at the center of the world (which is where I first modelled the phone from)

So how do I use the information that is in the bottom attribute display, when I have the polygon selected? Because it shows the actual location of that polygon in relation to the center of the world.

If I render out an external compositing tag as from that tutorial, it places the solid at the center of the world, as where the model axis of that object is?

I'll post up a project file so you can see what I mean.

4021_phone.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:00:27 am

You need to use Mesh/Axis Center/Axis Center... the other axis center commands (in the same Mesh menu) can get the axis in the right place but only the full command gives you the ability to not only put the axis in the right place but give it the correct alignment.

4022_phone2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:15:47 am

LEGEND! thankyou!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]