MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Lights Not Working Inside Objects With Sss And Physical Render

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Englefield
Lights Not Working Inside Objects With Sss And Physical Render
on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:00:42 am

Aloha

So I wanted to create a look of a light inside an object and have the light illuminate the object from inside and also illuminate the scene around the object.

To test I took the stock figure object and put an omni light inside it with area shadows and some falloff. I then took a cylinder and scaled it up so the figure was inside. I then added a basic material with the SSS shader effect in the luminance chanel and applied it to the figure object, choosing the apple preset.

I did a physical render and it was pretty much what I was looking for (see attached image). The object was clearly being light from inside and also some light was getting outside the object and lighting the large cylinder.

So I turned off the figure model, added a platonic, positioned it so the same light was inside and then dragged the same sss material that was on the figure model to the platonic. Hit render and boom.... total black scene.

I tried several other objects with the same result, black scene. The only object this illumination from inside using the sss shader I can make it work on is the figure model....So is there something special about the figure model or am I just being dumb? :) any help appreciated.

Find attached an image of the figure and cylinder being lit successfully.

ten

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Lights Not Working Inside Objects With Sss And Physical Render
on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:48:53 am

can you post the scene?

Return to posts index

Tom Englefield
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:25:38 am

Yep. Here it is...

3999_ssslightinsidefigure.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:48:51 am

it's because the figure has the spheres that make up the shoulders, neck and waist poking into the torso (Upper Body) and are actually seen the the light and so they glow (and pass it along - which is kind of cool) but if you take the spheres out you get the same thing as the platonic blackness.

Return to posts index

Tom Englefield
on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:38:50 am

Aha. Thanks for that, Brian. Thats a shame though because I really like this kind of glow worm effect it creates. I tried doing something similar with the backlight shader but its not the same.

I dont suppose you know of another way to create this kind of thing in c4d? I see vray for c4d allows double sided materials so that could work although its a bit overkill for one effect.

Regards.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:46:12 pm

what are you looking to see? Is the platonic a goal or was it a test? just one object?

Return to posts index

Tom Englefield
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:22:57 pm

The look I am trying to achieve is pretty much a glow worm effect but on a single object. So a strong light in the centre of the object that fades out towards edges. As I mentioned the backlight shader gets close but the SSS shader looks so much nicer and realistic.

The scene I uploaded with the figure is pretty much it. It has a lovely glow effect all along the object, srong where the light is and fades the further it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:07:53 pm

proximal in the luminance channel maybe. This example works - but it uses itself as the proximal source and for parametric objects that means a spherical region around the axis of a size defined by the proximal parameters. For more complex shapes you have to have more complex proximal objects using poly objects, then proximal uses edges and vertices…

Return to posts index

Tom Englefield
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:02:43 pm

Thanks for that, Brian.... Ill check it out!

Return to posts index

xin tan
on May 10, 2013 at 4:04:07 pm

I met almost the same problem as you,the only diffrence is ,in my situaiton,Lights can Worked Inside Objects such as sphere accidentally,those confused me a lot。
Do You solved the problem yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]