MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Creating a human figure (newbie question)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CastelliCreating a human figure (newbie question)
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:30:57 pm

I have recently decided to take up Cinema 4D as a hobby and creative outlet, as well as to expand my knowledge base in an attempt to make myself more valuable in my field (video editing). I feel like I'm picking it up quickly and was able to use the tools to some nice environments.

However, I have now run into my first snag that I can't get past on my own. I am completely dumbfounded as how to go about creating a human. I understand that it is similar to other things- extruding polygons and smoothing them out with hypernurbs, etc. I understand that I can use symmetry and only create half the body and the rest will already be done, so I am not completely lost, but I guess my real problem is I am not sure where to start. Should I use the figure primitive and go from there? Should I start with a cube and go from there?

I have googled looking for some tutorials on how to shape the figure primitive, but have been unsuccessful. Do you guys have any good advice or tutorials for someone who is mentally struggling with how to best shape the human body in Cinema 4D? I feel like if I saw a tutorial or two on how to make face, or shape a body, I could then figure out making someone skinnier or fatter/ make a nose bigger or smaller, etc. But without knowing the basics of modeling people, I'm lost as far as where to even start.

Thank you to everyone who can take some time to help a newbie out! If you can't, I understand that too, as I now know just how long it takes to make something look just right when animating! But I must say, it is addicting!

Thanks all,

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: Creating a human figure (newbie question)
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:56:40 am

Vertex Pusher has a series of tutorials for just this... I have not seen them but they are highly recommended on other forums.

There are a few humans in the C4D content browser that can show you the Mesh loops.

For extremely detailed I had a book called stop staring that was for Maya but translated really easy to C4D for facial modeling, rigging and stuff....

As for a standard start.... a lot of people start with cubes in a taper deformer and go from there. Some, generally very good modelers go poly to poly and just move each new point into place.

Return to posts index

John CastelliRe: Creating a human figure (newbie question)
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:13:05 am

Thank you Randy this is very helpful stuff. Since I am not a seasoned modeler I will start with the cube. Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the figure primitive? Is it simply a quick way to test an environment?

John Castelli

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: Creating a human figure (newbie question)
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:11:30 am

I don't really really know what that is for... I have used for a scale reference in some story boards but thats about it.

Did you find what you were looking for in the content browser though cmd + shift F8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved