MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Brushed metal texture

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Angeli
Brushed metal texture
on Apr 7, 2012 at 10:49:38 am

Hi,
I'm working on a disk brake. Modelling is finished, and I'm working on lighting and textures right now.

I wanted to achieve a realistic radial metal texture. I got close by using a luma shader in the luminance channel for the inside of the disc. Also I'm using HDRI and a few omni lights for reflections only.

However I'm lost for the outside part. The radial/elliptic pattern is similar to what I'm aiming for http://brakedisc.reaindia.com/productimg/504_588.jpg

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

randy johnson
Re: Brushed metal texture
on Apr 7, 2012 at 12:35:41 pm

I would start by getting the material clean and the way I like it. Then Create a greyscale bitmap in PS with the rotation pattern and layer that into most of the channels... like as a mask on the reflection, specular.
/Randy

Return to posts index

Carlos Angeli
on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:13:50 pm

Thanks Randy. I was trying that, but also wondered if there's a way to achieve it using lumas or some other shader.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:47:18 pm

the only way I could think of to get that repeating circle pattern would be to use the spline shader with a spline made for the job - which could be done with the built-in tools, a circle spline in a radial cloner for starts.

Return to posts index

Carlos Angeli
on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:55:43 pm

Hi Brian,

I'm not familiarized with the spline shader. I'll look into it.
Thanks for the tip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:12:49 am

be careful to read to the bottom of the main page of the help on it. It helps a lot to keep the spline to 100x100 in size and absolutely you have to have the axis like in Illustrator, it should be at the lower left of spline not centered.

Return to posts index

Andrew Larson
on May 2, 2012 at 2:57:33 pm

ok here is a file with the Nukei Shader I think it will do what your looking for.

4067_diskbreak.c4d.zip

Blur the lines between work and play.
Andrew Larson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]