MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Depth of Field in post - Front Blur issue

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Murphy
Depth of Field in post - Front Blur issue
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:11:12 pm

This may be more of an After Effects question but I know many of you most likely follow the same workflow as myself. We render out in passes in C4D, then composite and add effects in After Effects. I have been banging my head against the wall trying to remedy this and just need a straight answer.

So many people talk about doing DOF in post but they NEVER mention a frontal blur issue that I can't get around. Check out the attached graphic. The top shows an unblurred image with no DOF for reference. The bottom shows using the depth pass as my depth matte. I can never use this reliably with frontal blur effects because the object tries to blur within the actual border of the death pass, causing a sharp edge (refer to yellow arrows). Am I missing something or is this just not possible in post? I was never even able to get a decent true blur in Frischluft. (sp?)

Thanks guys!
Brian

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
Re: Depth of Field in post - Front Blur issue
on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:47:08 pm

This is just a guess here, but what were your anti-aliasing settings in C4D for the original image? Looking closely at the original image, I can see aliasing right in the same spots you have the arrows pointing in the bottom image. Perhaps this is causing the depth pass to not interpret the distance as accurately as it should. Maybe try setting your anti-aliasing in C4D a little higher and see if that works.

To see tutorials, articles, tips, free stuff, and more visit my post-production blog at http://thekellzone.com

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:51:47 pm

Actually, looking closer at the top image, I can see aliasing on all the balls. It doesn't seem to have a problem if they are not near the border, but when they are it looks like it's an issue. I'd set my Anti-Aliasing to Best and at least 2x2 min and 4x4 max and see if that works.

To see tutorials, articles, tips, free stuff, and more visit my post-production blog at http://thekellzone.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 7, 2012 at 11:03:19 pm

What effect are you using to apply your DOF in After Effects? This one is my favorite:

http://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/index.php

Give it a try and see if it handles the scene any better.

That said, this blur bleed at the edges of overlapping objects is a problem with all the post DOF effects I'm aware of. I believe it has to do with the effect estimating the coverage of the objects and not quite getting it right.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:38:43 pm

yep, that's the bane of post DOF...Try rendering your depth with double your resolution and no AA. let AE scale it to 50%...

It helped me before.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:19:48 pm

Hmmm, interesting approach - thank you all for your answers! I'll experiment with your ideas.

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]