MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Multi Shader and Index Ratio- Repeats same textures close to one another

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett CelinskiMulti Shader and Index Ratio- Repeats same textures close to one another
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:48:53 pm

I am working with a cloner which clones two radial cloners. In my stack:

Cloner with texture that has multishader to display random textures for each clone
>two radial cloners, each with a different random effector

I have a random effector for this cloner and have the multishader set to index ratio. I also have Use Alpha/Strength ticked in the random effector and have tried the different 'random modes' in the effector from the advice of an older thread on this forum. However all this gives me the same result of repeated textures from the multishader right next to one another and thus no real 'randomness'.

Is there anything I'm missing in order to actually randomize the textures?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Multi Shader and Index Ratio- Repeats same textures close to one another
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:45:20 am

You need to set the multishader to use color brightness instead of index ratio. Index ratio is telling the shader to apply the textures one after the other based on the clones' index number. Thus the random effector isn't doing anything.

When you set the multishader to use color brightness, the textures are applied based upon the color values generated by the random effector. That usually works best if you set the Random Effector's mode to "sorted".

Return to posts index

Brett CelinskiRe: Multi Shader and Index Ratio- Repeats same textures close to one another
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:33:27 am

Thanks for the response! I've changed it to color brightness, use alpha/strength and sorted in the random effector and I still get repetition of the same textures however.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Multi Shader and Index Ratio- Repeats same textures close to one another
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:47:54 am

Do you have as many textures in your multishader as you do clones?

Return to posts index

Brett CelinskiRe: Multi Shader and Index Ratio- Repeats same textures close to one another
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:30:48 pm

No, that must be it, then. Seems like a rather rigid requirement to me though. Can I just duplicate and save the same textures under different filenames for a workaround?

Also, what is the total number of clones though? The clones inside each individual cloner, or the total sum of all clones in the top cloner? That would be a bit ridiculous.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:17:14 pm

Well, when you think about it, if you have fewer textures than clones, there is no way that the program can avoid repeating some textures. For example, if you have 100 clones and you want each to have a unique texture ... you're going to have at least 100 textures in your multishader.

OTOH, if you can accept some repeats, but just want to adjust where they occur, you can play with the seed option in the random effector. I ran into a problem like this in a project and what I ended up doing is using multiple random effectors with different seed values. If two clones close to each other had the same tex, I would create a mograph selection and assign one of the clones to a different random effector. A pain, but it's doable.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:21:16 am

Hi Adam,

the problem is that the MoGraph Selection doesn't appear to work with a cloner inside a cloner.

My project is based off a radial cloner of floating advertisements and having that placed within a cloner of its own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]