MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Is there a way to exclude part of a mesh from ambient occlusion ?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monika Zidaell
Is there a way to exclude part of a mesh from ambient occlusion ?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:09:32 am

Hi,
I made a character in c4d, everything looked ok until i rotated some parts of the body and render it. The mesh on some parts of the model looks like its triangulated, thou its not ( and its visible). I noticed it is related with the ambient occlusion filter, when its on it shows this problem. Is there a way to sort it out?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Is there a way to exclude part of a mesh from ambient occlusion ?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:36:49 pm

You've got a couple possibilities:

1. Use the AO shader in your materials' diffuse channel instead of using the post effect. Then you can apply it wherever you want;

2. Use the post effect, but give the problem geometry a compositing tag and uncheck the "seen by rays" box. That will prevent the AO effect from seeing the geometry, but may be a problem if the object has to be seen through refraction, or if you want the effect applied to parts of the mesh but not others.

Return to posts index

Monika Zidaell
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:55:34 am

Hello,

Thanks, it works. I managed to apply AO to each material except the one that was causing the problem, however i have another issue. I have a hair object and since i cant use the AO in the post effects i have to find a way to make it work other way. I tried to find some answers online but without success :(.

Is there a way to apply AO to a hair material?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:24:35 pm

I don't think it's possible unless you set the hair object to generate geometry (Hair Object>Generate>Type:). In that case you can place a regular material on the hair object. The down side is that lose the shading options from the hair material.

In any case, I don't think the AO post effect does anything with hair unless you generate geometry, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]