MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cinema 4d Outline

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon EdwardsCinema 4d Outline
by on Mar 1, 2012 at 3:14:54 pm

Hey people,

I've got a question regarding a technique I've used in 3ds max and how to do it in Cinema 4d.

I created the following video where the 3d icons come on from the right side, as they rotate they have a white outline that when facing the camera it doesn't show. This was done by creating a duplicate, reversing the normals and scaling it up a bit. I wonder if you could help me out with getting the same effect in Cinema? I'm struggling!

Here's the vid, I did copy at the right time but it hasn't worked, the part I'm talking about is about 35 seconds in.

I've tried sketch and toon but can only get an outline for the object as a whole and not inner details, I also tried a fresnel shader but it was a bit messy.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Cinema 4d Outline
by on Mar 1, 2012 at 6:51:31 pm

One way would be to use Sketch and Toon for the lines, if you have that in your package.

Or, to recreate your Max effect:

1. copy object and select all polygons;
2. use the "Normal Move" tool to scale the object up;
3. Create a material with white in the luminance channel and drop it on the scaled object. Set the texture tag to Side>Back;
4. Create a material that's 100% transparent and drop that on the scaled object. Set the texture tag to Side>Front.

Return to posts index

Simon EdwardsRe: Cinema 4d Outline
by on Mar 2, 2012 at 10:44:17 am

I've not had the chance to put your advice into practise yet but I wanted to say thanks for the help! Looking forward to trying it out :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved