MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Resolve Water Pushing Through Lily Pad While Rippling

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay ingles
Resolve Water Pushing Through Lily Pad While Rippling
on Feb 26, 2012 at 6:39:32 pm

Hi,

I've built a simple lily pad with a water ripple in a white, reflective environment but can't figure out how to get the water to not push through the lilypad object.

I've tried merging the objects, separating them slightly, and considered boolean but don't feel that is the right approach as i suspect it'll cause shadows/AO issues.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
thanks.

R13 Project File (temporarily available):
http://dropbox.joshj...ly_Ripple-1.zip (5.8mb)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Resolve Water Pushing Through Lily Pad While Rippling
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:19:04 pm

the link isn't complete, can't download it

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:00:20 pm

Hmm, the link got abbreviated somehow.
Here it is again:

http://dropbox.joshjingles.ca/Lily_Ripple-1.zip
(5.8mb)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:24:15 pm

the quick and dirty way is to control the center of your vertex map so instead of just making the ripples falloff with distance you kill the ripples under the lily pad

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:04:18 pm

Interesting, i hadn't realized the potential of pulling the vertex weight to 0%.

I'm noticing now that the behaviour is rather unrealistic. the ripple fades up at full ripple instead of being triggered by a drop and have 1 series of rings expanding.

Is there a solution for this using the formula approach? Or is the alternative a soft body map with an elastic material being hit but an object?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:23:49 pm

Seems like a good application for dynamics or cloth. You could put a cloth tag on the lily pad and a cloth collider on the water. Or if you want it to be more rigid you could use soft-body dynamics.

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:35:09 pm

Thanks. Would you build it the way i did with a circular pad and square "active ripple area" to be affected?

My thoughts were that i can then drop it wherever in the scene. Also that it might lower render times since ripples were only affecting one controlled higher poly area.

To elaborate on the cloth idea, keep the floor as is and using the cloth tag drop the lily pad on top of the floor. Then when the forumula moves it shouldn't protrude through the cloth. Correct?

Great idea. thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]