MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Difficulty Optimizing blade of grass + MoGraph field of grass

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay ingles
Difficulty Optimizing blade of grass + MoGraph field of grass
on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:11:36 am

Hi,

I'm building a shot where the camera pulls back and grass sweeps past the foreground into the distance. I originally started with the Hair module, but wasn't able to achieve the desired look of the grass.

Having created 1 blade of grass with a UV Map, my plan is to use mograph to spread/randomize its location and pass a camera over it.

My problem is the high poly HyperNurb is taking a lot of processing power. I've tried optimizing but it isn't reducing polys at all.

1. How can i reduce this blade and maintain the UV map
2. Am i going down the wrong road? Is there another way to create this shot that is better?
3. Is there any chance i can make the grass slightly bend/deform as if there is a breeze in the air? (or do i need to use Hair)

Thanks so much. I've attached the process for the grass i've made (model/HN/Final Mesh)

Project File:
3751_optimizegrass.zip



Example of final shot:


Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Difficulty Optimizing blade of grass + MoGraph field of grass
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:04:01 am

You can speed things up a couple of ways:

1. check the render instances box in the cloner;

2. use a lower poly version of the grass blade. Set the HN object to subdivision level of one, or at most two, before making it editable. Also, extrusion isn't the best way to model something if you plan on using it in HN.

I would definitely give Hair another go. Look into hair instances.


Return to posts index

jay ingles
Re: Difficulty Optimizing blade of grass + MoGraph field of grass
on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:14:14 pm

Thanks Adam. I redid it with Hair and had some good results. I've still got some odd issues to resolve where the blade jumps around but i think i can figure it out on my own.


As for the Hypernurb issue, if Extrude isn't ideal which would you suggest if I have a spline that was pulled from an image (which will be the texture)?


Return to posts index



Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Difficulty Optimizing blade of grass + MoGraph field of grass
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:46:29 pm

As for the Hypernurb issue, if Extrude isn't ideal which would you suggest if I have a spline that was pulled from an image (which will be the texture)?

Personally I would probably model the blade starting with a cube, using the image as a reference in the viewport. Another way would be to use a sweenurbs (adjust scale via the spline graph). Either way will give you a lot more control over polygon count and will produce a quad mesh instead of the mess you get from extrusions.


Return to posts index

jay ingles
Re: Difficulty Optimizing blade of grass + MoGraph field of grass
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:47:12 pm

I pulled the spline from the image and UV mapped the resulting polygons with the image.

I like the sweep nurb approach. I definitely was looking for a grid/quad mesh instead of the HN craziness. Resetting the HN to 1-1 massively helped performance as well.

Thanks again.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]