MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

A few IK questions?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve coulterA few IK questions?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 7:36:14 pm

Hi guys, I've been working with C4D for a few years now, and have a basic to intermediate understanding of most of the principles. But, I'm currently stuck with an IK issue and I can't seem to find any solutions out there.

Basically I am trying to mechanically rig an 'accordion' style effect, where an IK chain folds/collapses evenly as I move the goal towards the initial joint, and every other joint in between moves in the alternating opposite direction. Does that make sense? Think of those shutters they roll across store fronts at the mall when they're closing.

I've tried doing it with just the joint tool and keyframes, but then the bones change size when they're moving, and there's a lot of keyframing involved. I've tried applying PSR constraints but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I've also tried an IK chain - and I think I'm on to something, but when I try to compress/collapse the chain, it moves out like a scorpion's tail, and I can't get it to 'fold' as it collapses. I've tried putting IK tags on individual joints, as well as trying to use the preferred angles, as well as rotation limits, but nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts? I am running C4D 10.5, so I don't have all the fancy dynamics available in later versions. Hopefully I don't need them, but I'd be interested to hear any suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved