MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

UVLayout VS. ZBrush VS C4D Modeling

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Idan SpecktorUVLayout VS. ZBrush VS C4D Modeling
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 10:19:47 am

Hello,

I have a lot question, so i will be happy if u can answer few of them:

-I have heard that C4D R13 has improved the ability to model, is it true?
-Do professional artist use C4D for modelation at all, or do they
model on ZBrush and import that to C4D? (i'm interesting how is it done in the films).
-I wanna learn modelation, so I want the best way to learn and not west my time.
after i have seen works in zbrush, i wanna know if it can be done with the modelation of c4d.
how do experts do films?
-What is the goal of zbrush, and whats the difference among headus UVLayout?

-i have made some beautiful animation by tutorials, with reflaction and stuff.
im either try not to use many lights, global illuminasion or ambient occlusion when not necessary.
even though, my render time are bad i think. how is 5 hours for 9 sec video? (fps 30, 90 frames).
-why eveybody uses mac? is it so faster than win?
-now i have 32bit, 3RAM, dual core. if i buy a computer, what is important for fatser rendering and clean moves on the screen when im using rigidbodies?

-how can i find good layouts of C4D modeling?

sorry about those whole questions, but i have spent hours on google and so musch want to understand!!!
Thanks pales :)

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: UVLayout VS. ZBrush VS C4D Modeling
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 3:58:35 pm

[Idan Specktor] "-I have heard that C4D R13 has improved the ability to model, is it true?

Viewport navigation was imrpoved, which helps with modeling, but the modeling tools themselves have not changed much.

-Do professional artist use C4D for modelation at all, or do they
model on ZBrush and import that to C4D? (i'm interesting how is it done in the films).

Sure, lots of professional artist use C4D for modeling.

-I wanna learn modelation, so I want the best way to learn and not west my time.
after i have seen works in zbrush, i wanna know if it can be done with the modelation of c4d.

It rather depends on what you are modeling. Generally speaking modeling can be broken down into mechanical (things like furniture, vehicles, commercial products), and organic (humans, creatures, animals). There are different considerations for each, and especially so if the model will be rigged for animation.

ZBrush is excellent for detailed organic models, though it can also do mechanical with recent additions.

Many artists use ZBrush in combination with a poly modeler like Cinema. Essentially you would build a low-polygon model in Cinema and then export the model to ZBrush to add detail. Then you create a displacement map in ZBrush and apply it to your low-poly model back in Cinema. The transfer process is handled very easily with Pixologic's GoZ plugin.

how do experts do films?
-What is the goal of zbrush, and whats the difference among headus UVLayout?

As above, I think that most experts use a combination of a poly modeler with a sculpting application like ZBrush or Mudbox.

UVLayout specializes in creating low-distortion, paintable UV maps for models. It doesn't do any modeling at all. It complements programs like ZBrush and Mudbox.

-i have made some beautiful animation by tutorials, with reflaction and stuff.
im either try not to use many lights, global illuminasion or ambient occlusion when not necessary.
even though, my render time are bad i think. how is 5 hours for 9 sec video? (fps 30, 90 frames).

Impossible to say without seeing the particular scene.

-why eveybody uses mac? is it so faster than win?

Everybody doesn't use a Mac. Cinema users are about 50/50 Mac and PC. Motion graphics people tend to use Macs because some of the early software was developed for Mac. Some prefer Final Cut for editing, which is Mac only. But there's no reason you can't use a PC if you prefer (I do).

-now i have 32bit, 3RAM, dual core. if i buy a computer, what is important for fatser rendering and clean moves on the screen when im using rigidbodies?

CPU speed and cores are most important for rendering, IF you have enough RAM to avoid disk cache. Raw CPU speed is most important for dynamics.

-how can i find good layouts of C4D modeling?"

I would recommend that you build your own.

Return to posts index

Idan SpecktorRe: UVLayout VS. ZBrush VS C4D Modeling
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 5:11:00 pm

"Then you create a displacement map in ZBrush and apply it to your low-poly model back in Cinema"
U mean that I am creating a nice character in C4D, and than make it realistic (skin, and other details) by ZBbrush?
In addision, u r telling that this realism doesnt demand any heavy polygons beacuse its only a displacement?
And does displacement means "Material efitor->displacement"? sounds fun.
Do we import only a map, or an object to c4d?

Why u said "poly modeler like Cinema", it seems like zbrush has polygons either, isnt that?

How do the movements of the character in ZBrush being controled?
Doesnt ZBrush make a static character?
and if not, how can we control its facial expressions?

I have a lot of motivation to learn that,
and thanks a lot for your detailed answer, i have read that many times and it helped me a lot.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: UVLayout VS. ZBrush VS C4D Modeling
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:58:06 am

U mean that I am creating a nice character in C4D, and than make it realistic (skin, and other details) by ZBbrush?

Yes, that's the basic idea.

In addision, u r telling that this realism doesnt demand any heavy polygons beacuse its only a displacement?

Well, it uses lots of polygons, but only at render time, so it's much easier to animate.

And does displacement means "Material efitor->displacement"? sounds fun.

Yes, correct.

Do we import only a map, or an object to c4d?

I'd suggest using the GoZ plugin which handles it automatically. To be honest I'm not sure if it changes the geometry or whether it just brings in the displacement. Of course you could do it manually if you wanted to, but it gets a little more complicated.

Why u said "poly modeler like Cinema", it seems like zbrush has polygons either, isnt that?

You can create basic poly meshes with ZBrush but you don't get the same level of control as you would in a traditional poly modeler like Cinema.

How do the movements of the character in ZBrush being controled?
Doesnt ZBrush make a static character?
and if not, how can we control its facial expressions?

ZBrush can't export animation. You just create the model or displacement map and then rig and animate the model in Cinema.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]