MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Constrain spline lenght

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos AngeliConstrain spline lenght
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:26:46 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to constrain or limit the length of a spline connected to two object's. Something like having an object fixed and the other hanging from the other point of the spline (like a rope)

So far, I've managed to connect the two objects by two of their points with a Tracer. However, if I add dynamic constrains to each other, as one of the objects falls the spline keeps stretching to infinite.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Constrain spline lenght
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:41:33 pm

I would use the spline dynamics tag which can be found in the hair tags. Then use a hair constraint tag to attach the spline to the top object and a little xpresso to attach the other object to the last point on the spline. You can also use the spline dynamics' Mass parameter to assign a greater weight to the last point to create the illusion that the attached object has weight.

Here's a basic example: 3730_dynamicspline.c4d.zip

You'd also want to control the bottom object's rotation, which you can do via the point node's normal out port, or by attaching another object further up the spline and using a target tag to point the bottom object at it.

Return to posts index

Carlos AngeliRe: Constrain spline lenght
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:56:28 am

Hey Adam.That's one cool idea. Totally different from the way I was trying to do it. Thanks for the example as well.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46:15 am

Adam,

I was wondering if you can later add body dynamics to your example so the ball can crash against some cubes for example. Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Constrain spline lenght
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 1:58:48 pm

You dould add a rigid body collider tag to the ball, so it would move the cubes, but it wouldn't respond to them because it's position is driven by the separate spline dynamics system.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:02:57 pm

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Return to posts index

WomRecords VideomakingRe: Constrain spline lenght
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:20:01 pm

Thank you very much that was the solution for me too!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]