MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Plain Effector driving other object properties

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt BeckhamPlain Effector driving other object properties
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:16:53 pm

Hello all, I've been stumped on a project today and can't seem to find any proper answer online myself.

I've got a simple grid cloner setup, with an Extrude NURBS and a rectangle spline inside of it. When I pass the plain effector through my grid it is currently shrinking the size of tile chips it passes over (The plain has a box falloff also).

What I would like to do is drive the radius of the spline inside of the extrude nurbs from the scaling of the clones. I figured this would be a simple xpresso task, as I have done similar with a sound effector.

This hasn't really worked for me. I tried connecting the uniform scale property of the Plain effector to a range mapper and then to the radius property of the spline but no luck.

Should I be looking at the modified property of the effector or should I be driving off of position? Perhaps I'm totally off on both accounts.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any future help.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Plain Effector driving other object properties
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:06:37 pm

Generally in a case like that you would need to connect the effector to a mograph sample node and then connect that to your property, but I don't think it will work in this particular case because you're trying to change a child of the clone (the spline) rather than the clone itself. Consequently any change will affect all clones equally.

If I understand what you're trying to do, you might be able to use the cloner's blend mode with the plane effector to change both scale and the radius at the same time. The key there is to set the effector falloff to inverse. Example: 3689_blendeffector.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Matt BeckhamRe: Plain Effector driving other object properties
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:46:19 pm

Hey! Thanks for the reply and the knowledge. That's an interesting answer with the blend mode. The only problem is that you don't get consistent results across the entire grid. There is still a gradation at work with the shapes. This did give me a few other ideas to tinker with though.

I also understood what you were talking about, that if I drove the radius that it would apply this across the entire cloner... but what I'm confused on still is what property of the clone should I be thinking about to drive another property. When I'm using a sample node, what port should I be looking at to connect to a range mapper?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Plain Effector driving other object properties
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 10:50:45 pm

As a rule the Sample Node port that I use is the strength port. It reads out the strength of the cloner applied to each clone, so it takes falloff into account. Of course there are reasons to use the other ports, too ... presumably. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]