MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Creating highly detailed microscopic hair

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Hildebrand
Creating highly detailed microscopic hair
on Feb 4, 2012 at 3:58:53 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, although I have been a regular visitor for quite some time. I'm going to school for video production, mainly to be an editor, but special effects and animation have really peaked my interest, and I feel that that will undoubtedly add to my skills as an editor.

Anyway, i'm testing my skills and am trying to recreate the Fringe intro. I know the original was made using a combination of After Effects and 3DS Max, but i've done most of it so far using just After Effects.

It's still far from finished but i am really happy with the way it is turning out. It's the next step that has me confused. In the original opening, we see the camera traveling backwards through a field of "hair" or what could be considered microscopic hair.

I could always fake this by just finding/creating the texture i want and doing some work with masks in After Effects, but i really want achieve this in a 3d app (preferably Cinema 4D), since that would be a big leap forward for me. I have the trial and am trying to get the full version through school now.

Question is, can this be done using the hair system in C4D, or should the individual strands be modeled and a texture applied? Are there any shortcuts to do this or specific methods I should look up?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Creating highly detailed microscopic hair
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:17:14 am

this quick test is not right at all but it's one way to start.

3637_hairtest.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Dan Hildebrand
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:02:19 pm

Thanks so much for providing that. I will study that project file and try to see exactly what you did. I noticed right away that you used the hair system which is good because i did not want to model every individual hair

http://www.danwayfilms.net

Return to posts index

Dan Hildebrand
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:39:06 pm

Hey I have a question. I'm trying to recreate the scene you provided but I'm having an issue. How do i get the guides to represent the appropriate thickness and structure of the hair? In your scene the hairs look like actual modeled structures. In mine they are just thin strands of "guide". I've adjusted the thickness but the guides stay the same.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:41:05 pm

check out the Hair Object/Generate tab Type is set to Circle (if I recall) in mine - otherwise you get the default non-poly hair

Return to posts index

Dan Hildebrand
on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:57:39 am

Thanks a lot, that helped me around a huge bump

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]