MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Faster cloth calculations and previews?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyFaster cloth calculations and previews?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:30:29 pm

Hey guys, I don't want to start a 3D software war, that's not my intent but in speaking with someone who is experienced in Maya, he was in awe at how long the cloth simulator took to calculate in C4D and said Maya is practically instant. BUT, this was with the assistance of a $5,000 video card.

I would gladly shell out the money for a video card to work with C4D if it could benefit from the same speed upgrades but was told that C4d doesn't use the (this is not quoted and is basically what I remember) CPU to work with GPU that takes full advantage of a video we are left with waiting for these kinds of calculations. Is this true or is there another option to cut my production time?

Other unbelievable things he mentioned was that you could be looping your animation in real time in the editor and change, textures, keyframes, etc. as you were watching the animation. Is this ALL the works of a video card? If so, which one could have similar effects for Cinema 4D?

I have a 12 core but can still bring it to it's knees with what I do. I'm looking for possibilities to get real-time (or close to it) feedback.

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Faster cloth calculations and previews?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:26:44 pm

In researching my own question, I've come across the Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 for Mac. Looks like a real powerhouse. Anyone have any experience with this paired with R13? If I spend that much money, I want to see a dramatic difference.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Faster cloth calculations and previews?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:15:08 am

Don't waste your money on a Quadro, Brian. They don't perform any better than high end gaming cards with C4D.

It's hard to advise on speed without seeing specific scenes. Generally speaking what tends to slow Cinema down is a whole lot of objects (as opposed to a few high poly objects), or physical simulations that have to constantly recalculate. In your case I would certainly cache or bake the cloth simulation if possible.

Feel free to send me a misbehaving scene and I'll see if I can find anything obvious. It should be possible to get it reasonably quick, if not quite real time. It may not be possible to get it AS fast as Maya because of the way Cinema executes. Unfortunately ease of use does come with some compromise.

Return to posts index

Tobias GremmlerRe: Faster cloth calculations and previews?
by on May 25, 2016 at 5:39:50 am

I am also wondering why some simulation calculations are so slow. For example cloth coalition with a character skin. The viewport playback drops down to 8fps in this case. And the calculating utilizes only using a fracture of the CPU and GPU capacities.
Any ideas how this things can run faster? Example scene attached

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved