MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Alternating color for every other clone

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy AllenAlternating color for every other clone
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:19:08 pm

I'm making a chain and I need each link to alternate between 2 colors. It seems like this would be really simple to do, but I can't seem to figure it out, and I've read about and tried multi-shaders, the shader effector and even the formula effector setup to affect every other clone.

Here's my setup:

-- 1 link made from extruded spline, inside a linear cloner with rotation.P set to 90˚.

-- The chain is then set to spline wrap to take the shape of a letter.

** I need to have each link alternate between green and silver.

I came up with a couple ways to do this, but neither is ideal.

The first is pretty obvious. Place a silver texture on one link and a green texture on another rotated link, put the 2 links in a cloner, then the spline wrap.

The second method was to set up a cloner for each color, where one link was flat and the other rotated, then leaving enough space in each set of clones for the other links to fit. That's hard to explain but I hope it makes sense.

So both of these methods end up looking right, but not really ideal for what I need to do with the animation.

What I really want is one chain link, cloned into the shape of a letter, with each clone alternating color from green to silver. Any help??

8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 11.5
AE CS5 (
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Alternating color for every other clone
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:53:53 pm

with only two colors it's still easiest (and perhaps best) to use two links (one rotated 90º) with a material each. Use a cloner in Object mode with the spline as the Object, Clones set to Iterate (default) and Distribution set to Step with the step value small enough the links fit inside each other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved