MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Want to create a swinging sign

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fionna MarianiWant to create a swinging sign
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:17:48 pm

Hello,
I am trying to create a swinging sign using dynamics. I've found tutorials that show you how to swing an object that's attached to the end of a rope by using the dynamic spline, but I can't figure out how to apply the same set up when I want two strings attached to one object.

This is the tutorial that I found:

Any suggestions? Or maybe point me in the direction of a tutorial that can help?

Return to posts index

Michael WestRe: Want to create a swinging sign
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:37:33 pm

C4D'ers:
Please include me in the answer.
I'm looking for the same process.
Thanks.
Michael

p.s. thanks, Fiona, for starting the conversation

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Want to create a swinging sign
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 4:49:42 am

the problem with that tutorial (well, really the problem with spline dynamics) is that it's great if you want a swinging rope/string or suspended wires etc but it always stretches - it's what allows it to look like normal wires hanging between objects but like in that tutorial the spline just stretches as the pyramid falls to the ground. I saw a tutorial (c4dcafe maybe) where the solution was to let the spline dangle and the suspended object was attached via xpresso (no dynamics weight) that would work but the rope swings the sign rather than the other way around - it might be ok for your purposes though.
The same will be true of cloth and likely (but I haven't tested it) soft bodies.
Dynamics chain can work and hold a dynamics object up (it's touchy but it can work). Connectors would work, maybe a connector with spline dynamics 'just for show' would be the deal. Perhaps there's some solution I haven't seen.

Return to posts index

Fionna MarianiRe: Want to create a swinging sign
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 3:35:59 pm

I was able to get the pyramid to dangle at the end of the rope by using the spring dynamic. But still couldn't figure out how to have two ropes connected to one object. So I duplicated the group, so that I had two pyramids bouncing at the end of the rope (they both bounced the same way) and then took a plain rectangular object (lined it up so it looked like the rope was attached to the left & right top corners) and made it the child of one of the pyramids. It works, but it's a work around.

There's another tutorial on Greyscale Gorilla, where he uses joints to create a chain. That could work, but how do I connect a object to the end of the chain of joints? I played with the connectors and it'll connect my sign to the joint chain, but when I move the joint chain that object doesn't move with it. It just continues to hangs there, swinging like it's connected to something but not moving with it.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Want to create a swinging sign
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:01:12 pm

what was your method for the attachment and the setting for the dynamic spline? Can you post the scene file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]