MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Falling Photos using cloth/collider

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy KempFalling Photos using cloth/collider
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:52:23 pm

Hey all! I am having a problem with an animation that I really want to be able to do. Haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for.

The concept: Falling photos on top of a 3D logo, piling on top of each other. Imagine a deck of cards slowly falling onto a surface.

The Problem: You guess it, intersecting. Seems like no matter what I do, my planes keep intersecting. I've done a lot of trial and error and can't seem to figure out how to free myself from this issue.

My Guess: perhaps they intersect because the "collider" (which in the case is also the photos does not have enough polygons. I wanted to keep the polygon count on my planes low to maintain the stiffness of an actual photo.

What I've tried: adjusting iterations, flexion, friction, etc. Also tried increasing the settings in "Expert" and dropped all the objects in the "include" box.

I know that the cloth tag can be very painful to use at times, but this seems like something that should be pretty simple to figure out.

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Falling Photos using cloth/collider
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:25:46 pm

what version of C4D? objects that are both cloth and collider have always been a problem. A soft body in the new Dynamics might be better - but it would still be a problem I would guess - do the cards have any thickness?

Return to posts index

Jeremy KempRe: Falling Photos using cloth/collider
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:57:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Brian!

I am using R12. The cards do have about a 1cm thickness from cloth nurbs. I've tried using soft body dynamics, but had even more problems (then again I don't have much experience with soft body). I would just use rigid body, and might have fewer issues, but I want the photos to have a slight flexibility to them like glossy photos would. I've also tried using slim cube objects instead and had issues as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved