MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Creating Sparkling 3D Logo

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John MonroweCreating Sparkling 3D Logo
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 7:45:37 pm

I've been trying to wrap my brain around this technique for awhile. I want to create 3D text with the front face fill with lights or diamonds.

I've attached two example photos. If anyone can help, I'll definitely appreciate it.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Creating Sparkling 3D Logo
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:33:49 pm

the first one (diamonds) is almost certainly done in photoshop - this is the first hit off google I got - there are many others.

Here's a quick attempt at a bling texture - this is kind of a random way to do it the 'diamonds' could be regular with a different setting to the grid cloner. The diamond texture came from

The lights would be sort of the same thing maybe but placement carefully in the centre like that would need hand-tweaking probably.

Return to posts index

John MonroweRe: Creating Sparkling 3D Logo
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:49:25 pm

Brian Jones

Thank you for your response. C4D file is a great start in the right direction. The effect via that file isn't exactly the effect I'm looking for but it is close.

For specificity I've attached three more pics and a video (link) that'll show a better example of what I'm hoping to accomplish.

I believe this effect can be accomplish with the cloner tool. I see that in the C4D file the designer used both the loft nurbs and extrude nurbs for the text, whereas the loft nurbs carries the cloned objects and the extrude nurbs house the text shell. He also used the platonic object as the cloned object.

I wonder if i use an actual diamond object (model) will I be able to place them precisely onto the loft nurbs while using a cloner tool; having the face of the diamonds facing the camera, as is in the example pics and video.

Ultimately, I'll like to create this effect without having to individually place each diamond onto the text.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

UTV Stars from THANK YOU on Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating Sparkling 3D Logo
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:50:05 pm

If your text is created with MoText, you can set the front face to be a regular grid. Then you could use it in a cloner with the cloner set to object mode. You can orient the clones in many different ways.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Creating Sparkling 3D Logo
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:40:35 pm

that was not the only way to build the file, I was mostly concerned in that test with what it would look like and whether the look of that photoshop technique could be replicated. A cloner using Object Surface distribution is not the way to go with your second example at all, it was just easy at the time to test the first example.
The second example looks like it might be easiest using splines to run the diamonds along or maybe using vertex distribution mode in a cloner if the object the diamonds are cloned on can be subdivided properly. Look at the diamonds in the 'S' all four rows have the same number of diamonds so you could run diamonds along a 4 splines that are in the right place (the font would be hugely important - the font used in the example has the 'S' with almost perfectly equal width all the way along it's length and that's very unusual - if it had narrower parts the diamonds would not all fit without making them smaller or bigger to fill the space). The 'T' could be done either by splines or by cutting it with the knife tool to get vertexes where you want the diamonds to be then using a cloner in Object/Polygon Vertex mode.

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Creating Sparkling 3D Logo
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:10:05 pm

I did something similar recently and aligned the lights along a spline while performing the 'Duplicate' function. I created my splines inside Illustrator by first creating outlines from my type and then creating copies that I would shrink down. I think that would be a better environment to prep the splines in.

I brought it into AE and used the position data of the bulbs for real AE lights in connection with Optical Flares and got a pretty good animated result.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved