MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

how to map a photo image to the extruded edge panel of a spline?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean bowerman
how to map a photo image to the extruded edge panel of a spline?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:25:32 am

this is driving me nuts, i'm sure its super simple but i can't figure it out.

i've extruded a rectangular spline.
i'm trying to map a colour to all the sides except one of the extruded panels. i'd like to map a photo to that. C1 and C2 are the front and back faces, is there a selection technique for the extruded sections?

i'd also like to keep the extrude editable because i have to animate it... is this possible?

apologies if this is something really obvious...

Return to posts index

Jack Cook
Re: how to map a photo image to the extruded edge panel of a spline?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:13:28 pm

Probably for this you need to make the extruded object editable. This will make a copy of it that has the sides and the two caps in it as children. Select this object, and the caps and choose Functions>Connect. Now it is one polygon object. At this point you can delete the other objects if you want, or hide them. Select the new object, go into polygon mode and select the faces that you want to put the material on. Set the selection as a saved selection and give it a name. Now put your material on the object and in the material tag, where it says "selection" put in the name of the selection you saved. The material will be mapped to only those polygons that are part of the saved selection.

Jack

Return to posts index

sean bowerman
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:49:31 pm

many thanks for your swift reply! i'm no modeller but i managed to follow this, and it works great. now i need to figure out how i can still animate the extrusion... any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:44:26 pm

There's a relatively cheap plugin called xspolyinstance that I'd recommend for this. What it does is create a polygonal copy of your nurbs object. That allows to you make polygon selections as you would with with a normal polygon object -- and assign materials to your selections -- but the object maintains a live connection to your nurbs object, so it will animate as you do the extrusion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]