MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean bowermanhow to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:03:49 pm

hi, i'm using Nitroblast to try and break apart an imported 3d model into cubes, but it won't accept it.... if anyone has used this plugin, is this possible? is there something i have to do to the model to simplify it so i can blow it apart? or is there another way of doing this? any suggestions would be very gratefully received...

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:10:48 am

I have used that plug in with ads models with out any issues. I would try to reduce the model since if the mesh is too dense your computer might have issues... so using a polygon reduction deformer and current state it will give you a simpler model to destroy.

If you want to create cubes though you should just go for a Cloner Object in Object mode or use the VOXEL EFFECT preset from here: http://robertleger.net/

/Randy

Return to posts index

sean bowermanRe: how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 2:48:57 pm

thanks for responding, you've obviously looked into this much further than me. i think i've figured out how to get nitroblast to destroy imported objects into irregular shapes, but the cube thing still escapes me...

this tutorial for nitroblast spline break touches on it

at 2:37 for the effect i'm looking for... but this is just for splines. do you know a way of doing this with imported 3d models? so the models breaks apart into cubes with the pieces exploding out in the x,y and z axis...?

any suggestions would be fantastic!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:49:26 pm

Here's one way it might work:

1. Create a spline grid, either in Cinema or Illustrator. The grid lines will have to have some thickness and it will have to be a continuous, closed spline;

2. Extrude the spline to form a solid grid;

3. Boolean subtract the grid from your object with the boolean object. This is where you might run into problems, if your object is too complex;

4. If you got past step three you should be golden. Make the boolean editable, select all the resulting geometry, and run the connect and delete command;

5. Put the resulting geometry in a mograph fracture object set to "explode segments and connect";

6. Add a rigid body tag to the fracture object and set individual elements to top level or all.

That should do it.

Return to posts index

sean bowermanRe: how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:02:49 pm

wow!... sounds complicated (to me) but thank you, i'll give it a go.

couple questions:

do i convert the imported object to a mesh before doing this? or can it work with an object group?

and will the line thickness of the grid mean we'll see the cubes intersecting before i blow up the object?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:51:30 pm

You can keep the imported object as a group ... in theory. But the boolean may work better if you connect everything.

The thicknes of the grid will leave some gap, but you can make it quite thin. You could also leave a copy of the original and then swap/animate visibility at the moment of the explosion to create the illusion that it's solid.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: how to explode an imported 3d model into cubes?
by on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:42:00 am

another possibility is to make a grid of cubes with a small amount of separation between each cube then do a Boolean Intersect with the object

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]