MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

timeline mess!

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate O'Connortimeline mess!
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:40:44 am

Hi, I've just been following a "pixar" jumping lamp tutorial, and I had got as far as starting to animate, I decided to press play even though I hadn't started animating yet, and for some reason when the pointer hit 0 my whole lamp just fell apart! the head moved up and the "legs" moved down.

I can't even press undo to put it back together! I am a complete cinema 4d newbie so maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: timeline mess!
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:10:45 pm

it sounds like you set a keyframe for your lamp's parameters then did a bunch of changes without setting a new keyframe, so it jumps to the first keyframes positions and rotations as soon as you move the timeline. It's one of the main rules of keyframe animating - if you set values in a keyframe then move down the timeline and make changes you have to set a new keyframe at that frame or it will not remember your changes once you move the timeline to a new frame. One way around this is to turn Automatic Keyframing on so it sets a keyframe every time you make changes (the drawback is that it can set keyframes even when you did not mean to)

Return to posts index

Kate O'ConnorRe: timeline mess!
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:25:08 pm

thanks for the quick reply but I'm not sure if it's to do with keyframes because I haven't got any keyframes set yet, I went through the whole tutorial again and now it is only happening to one section of my lamp.

Before I even start animating I press play, and when it hits 0 the upper part of my lamp leg flys out of place like this:

rigging the lamp involved constraints null objects so could it have been something to do with that?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: timeline mess!
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 8:13:07 pm

that sounds like a rigging problem then, can you post the scene?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]