MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cinema 4D - Advice needed with deformers / effectors

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip WhiteCinema 4D - Advice needed with deformers / effectors
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:16:29 pm

Hey there,

I'm relatively new to the site - I believe this is the correct place for this topic, but if not, let me know...

I was wondering if you could offer any advice or pointers on where I might be going wrong here - my brain just cannot seem to function at the moment, and this problem is really bugging me - it feels like it should have a simple answer...

I've been playing with the idea of a video wall / cube, and have attempted to apply video clips to portions of text.

In my previous tests, simply applying a rigid body tag would make the portions fly apart due to the fact they are already so close together as a built portion of text (almost like a shatter, but very chunky and blocky) presenting the video clips as the chunks spin and twirl into the air.

However, I'd ideally like more control over this - In my test scene file, this happens on the first frame - I'd like to delay the effect (collision / shatter?) as well as be able to have some sort of degree of force or power with which the chunks would be flung apart from each other.

I've attempted to play with Explosion FX, Explosion and Shatter - all seem to produce shattered 'flakes' and not let me force blow apart the chunks I've already created (unless I'm poking around in the wrong places?)

I've also tried to see if Particle Affectors have any use here - and can't seem to get anywhere with it...

I've uploaded a very small sample clip from an earlier test render - hopefully so you see the idea that I'm trying to describe:

Password is: forcetest

I've also uploaded a small test scene file:

I'd be very grateful if you'd be able to at least point me in the right direction or offer any ideas that you'd have to help me along,

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Cinema 4D - Advice needed with deformers / effectors
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:52:05 am

one way to get some control is to set the dynamic to go off "At Velocity Peak" and pass an effector through it with some version of Falloff on - that will control when it happens. One way to get the blocks to move farther apart faster is to use Margin - set it higher to push them apart more once they move.

This is not the only way...

oh yeah just a note about construction, you are using about 10 times the number of points/polys as are needed in that test scene (mostly in the really dense mesh along the cylinder parts) - it's not a killer at this point and maybe that's just what you ended up with after trying various things but if you ever have a scene with a lot of these objects it could really kill the play speed.

Return to posts index

Philip WhiteRe: Cinema 4D - Advice needed with deformers / effectors
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:56:15 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'll check this out tonight - I'm very grateful you sent back a scene file

I may actually rebuild my cylinders then - I don't want the scene to crash and implode

thanks again :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved