MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Modelling a relaxed mesh

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Valente
Modelling a relaxed mesh
on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:15:42 pm

Hello!

I am trying to model a relaxed mesh inspired by Anish Kapoor's sculpture "the farm" as shown in the picture.

Could anyone help me to figure out what is the best way to model such a shape?

I tried modelling two ellipses, lofting them, then apply the cloth tag to the loft shape, but it does not give me a nice result, as I cannot control the elasticity of the fabric. Is there any parameters that I can change to control this?

Thank you!

Marilu

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Modelling a relaxed mesh
on Jan 10, 2012 at 7:27:51 pm

I would use the lathe nurbs object to create the undistorted shape, then convert to geometry (make editable) and use the Mesh Deformer to flatten one end.

Return to posts index

Maria Valente
on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:34:48 am

Thank you for the reply!
Your method is pretty effective, I also tried the sweep tool which works well.
Now my problem is that I would like to connect the tunnel to an other surface as shown in the attached picture.

I have been trying all day to find something, but with little success. I tried different things including bridging the two surfaces but I did not manage to get a smooth transition from one surface to the other.

Is there a way to blend the two surfaces?
Any help would be really appreciated!

Marilu

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:33:25 pm

Ah, yeah, that is going to be a trick. Bridging, combined with hyperNURBS, is probably the best method, but to pull it off you really need to have the topology of the disk match the topology of the other objects. I'd start by reducing the density of the disk mesh to get it approximately right. From there it's a matter of using the knife and other polygon tools.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]