MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Is it possible to add two volume effector to one cloner object?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Is it possible to add two volume effector to one cloner object?
on Jan 6, 2012 at 7:06:16 pm

Hello all, still fair to say Happy new year everybody!

I'm creating a LED wall in Cinema 4D, how original, I know.

Anyway, I used a volume effector to have a line of text to scroll across, I created the wall using a cloner object with a small cube inside, no issue there.
Then I placed the text spline in an Extrude Nurbs object, I animated its x position, turned off the traffic lights and added a Volume Effector referencing this Extrude Nurbs object everything worked as expected.

However I need a second line of text, that needs to be a different color, different position (below the original) and different timing, one scrolls first the the second one appears.

The problem is that as soon as I add a second volume effector to the cloner object both effectors become invisible, nothing seems to help, I have both effectors turned on, but unlike the spline effector, apparently only one is accepted.

Can anyone help me? Thank in advance.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Is it possible to add two volume effector to one cloner object?
on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:40:22 pm

Not sure about the volume effectors, but why not use plane effectors with cubic or cylindrical falloff instead?

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:57:49 am

Thanks Adam.

I think the software is very buggy at most. All of the sudden I was able to make it work with both volume effectors, but then I changed the splines (originally text splines) to Illustrator ones, since I wanted to tweak the kerning further, and now none of the two effectors work, I tried placing back the original text splines and nothing.

I also replicated the steps I followed to create the effector the first time and I just can't get them to work.

This morning I opened the timeline and it appeared empty, I had to restart twice before it would be populated again.

For a $1400 application, I really expect much more than this.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:03:54 am

Moreover, I imported an Illustrator path which entered C4D as actually 13 different splines, when I use the Connect Objects + Delete command a new incomplete spline appears, it is unusable because when I place it on a Extrude Nurbs object there's no caps since portions of the spline are missing, yet I imported the same Illustrator path into C4D R11 and everything worked fine.

I know that I could create the Extrudes in R11 and then import them in R13, but what's the point of having the new version if I still need to waste time doing stuff on the old one?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:51:42 pm

Sounds like you have an illustrator export problem -- either stroked paths or open splines.

As far as your problem with multiple volume effectors -- I can't reproduce it. Might relate to your spline problem, i.e. if the volume you're using isn't closed.

If you can upload your file I'd be happy to have a look.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:35:47 pm

Hi Adam, sorry for the long delay n my reply, craziest week, next one is not looking better either.

All my splines are closed as far as I could tell, and I don't remember if I mentioned this or nit, but eventually I got to work the way it was expected, later on I have found some other issues which led me to think that the software is either buggy or I have a sever issue with my RAM or processor, which I think is unlikely, I have 16gb and a quad-core machine (8 cores hyper threaded).

I'm attaching the file, as you kindly offered, you will see that it works fine now, but maybe you will find something that's skipping my eyes.

3569_led.c4d.zip

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]