MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Simple Wireframe Globe

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim SmithSimple Wireframe Globe
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 1:08:05 am

I need to create a simple wireframe globe to animate for an iPhone application interface. I need control over the resolution of the wireframe (i.e. the number of latitude / longitude lines), the width of the lines, and the color of the lines. Ideally the rendered wireframe would have dimension (i.e. round, not flat, "wires") and the geometry on the back side (far side) of the globe would be hidden.

The best possible outcome would be the generation of only around 15 frames of transparent background .png files that I could then import into AE to further effect (e.g. scale, color, glow, etc.). White stroked lines on solid black background (to matte out later in AE). Resolution does not have to be high - the final animation is only going to be around 70px in diameter.

I've tried creating a primitive sphere, making it editable, changing edges to splines, etc. But since I'm using so few segments the angles are sharp, not smooth, and for some reason I can't soft interpolate the points to try to smooth them out. If I can get past that, I'm assuming I can sweep the splines with a circle to make the "wires" round, animate, then render out.

Is there a simpler way to do this? What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Tim Smith
Applied Design Group

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Simple Wireframe Globe
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:36:14 am

If you change the spline type to cubic and set intermediate points to natural (or try the other methods) it should give you nice curves.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved