MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Infinite Hallway Lighting Approach (Refs Attached)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay inglesInfinite Hallway Lighting Approach (Refs Attached)
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:19:09 pm

I'm struggling with how to achieve a light source that feels like the references attached.

Keys to it:
- Large moody overhead Light source
- drops off to black shadows in corners/floor
- can be cloned/duplicated without odd patterns on walls (for faux infinite hallway)

Most of my problems related to not being able to get the shadows to fall off where needed. Inverse Square (physically accurate) fall off helps but what i really want to do is add a Flag (on set term) or shape that obstructs the light to create a shadow but is invisible to camera so the sky/horrizon is still visible

I've tried LOTS of attempts with all types of lights but area lights make the most sense.
Is there a way to use a plane (length of hallway) to emit light/shadows but have it invisible to camera?

Thanks so much in advance

any insight is appreciated!

Example of Scene Built in C4D R13 (attached):

Project File:
3416_lighting1.zip

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Infinite Hallway Lighting Approach (Refs Attached)
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 1:40:24 am

to not see the shadow maker add a Compositing tag to your shadow creating plane and uncheck Seen By Camera

Return to posts index

jay inglesRe: Infinite Hallway Lighting Approach (Refs Attached)
by on Dec 17, 2011 at 12:17:54 am

Thanks Brian, I understand that part of the process but where i'm getting stuck is the lighting rig approach using GI (or not).

I'm used to real world lighting on set, but can't get desirable results with GI or area lights and have been trying for 3 full days.

Any suggestions on how to achieve such a simple, atmospheric look?

THanks

Latest Progress:
3424_lighting7b.zip

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Infinite Hallway Lighting Approach (Refs Attached)
by on Dec 17, 2011 at 2:21:50 am

the first one doesn't look much different than a light with Visibility set to volumetric (here is a gross simplification)

The second looks like it might have a light up top with another light with just visibility (no shadows) pointing upward through the floor to get that 'cone going upward' look

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]