MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

cant animate bound joints

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Pascavage
cant animate bound joints
on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:17:01 pm

i made this cool alien, and i wanna make him dance to a song, but i cant get him to move. im learning c4d thru youtube tutorials, and follow the vids step by step, but mine isnt comming out right. this is what ive done:
create alien out of sphere with extrude, move points etc.
hypernurb it.
use joint tool to make skeleton. lined it up so no bones poke out.
bind to sphere and hypernurb.
weight each joint for what i want it to control.
try rotating certain joints to test the bind.

nothing moves when i try to rotate any joint, then i figured maybe i did something wrong, so i opened up a new project, and extruded a cube to make an L shape, jointed, bound, and weighted it, and still came across the same problem. am i missing a step? the videos all had their models work, and i even replicated all the settings shown..

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: cant animate bound joints
on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:22:32 pm

It's possible that you're looking at old videos? The character animation has changed considerably over the years. With the current system you need, at minimum:

* Mesh to be weighted;
* Joints;
* A weight tag on the mesh referencing the joints;
* A skin object to deform the mesh based on the joints and weighting.

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:14:36 pm

yea i get those too when i bind(the weight tag and the skin object
) but when i get them do i have to mess with them? heres the video in case he missed a step or sumthin:

and the bind steps are here

and when he does it just automaticly works.

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:20:10 pm

could it be cuz i got mine hypernurbed? thats about the only difference i can see between what i see and do. but my model doesnt go to automatic weighting, i gotta do it myself, and even after i weight it, i cant move it at all

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:11:02 pm

[Thomas Pascavage] "could it be cuz i got mine hypernurbed? thats about the only difference i can see between what i see and do. but my model doesnt go to automatic weighting, i gotta do it myself, and even after i weight it, i cant move it at all"

That could be the problem, depending on how you set it up. The skin object and weight tag should be applied to the mesh itself -- not the HN object.

If you can upload the file I'll take a look at it.

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:07:28 am

how do i upload it to here?

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:11:01 am

nevermind i figured it out(how to upload on here). here it is, binded from the sternum up, not including hands or antenna. i was just tryna make sure i could create a basic before i got all into it. if you unbind it, rebind and go to the weight tool and youll see what i mean about the not even auto weighting

3388_alien.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:56:10 am

I can confirm that there's something strange about the file as you set it up. But when I bind it myself it works fine. One thing you do need to do is select the first joint under the root null and change the Bone type to From Parent instead of To Child.

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 10, 2011 at 12:58:26 pm

exactly what steps did you do to unbind, then rebind it? i just deleted the weight tag and the skin object and tried it again, but still ended up with the same result. and should i change all the joints to be from parent, or just the first one?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Dec 10, 2011 at 5:39:20 pm

I deleted the weight tag and skin deformer, selected the mesh and all the joints (but not the root null) and ran the Bind command.

Just the first joint needs to be set to from parent. Otherwise it throws off the position of the rig. The rest of them can be eithe way.

What version of Cinema are you using?

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 10, 2011 at 5:59:57 pm

r12. and after you hit bind you can immediately start rotating joints and moving the mesh?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Dec 10, 2011 at 9:29:03 pm

Yes. Here's the file I get after I delete your weight tag and skin deformer and rebind as described above:

3391_alienrebind.c4d.zip

btw, it's better to bind the low-poly mesh and then put that under a HN, as opposed to converting the HN and binding the resulting mesh. Editor display is faster that way and it's much easier to adjust the joint weights.

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 11, 2011 at 1:11:13 pm

well the good news is i can move it all around. the bad news is that i still have no clue what the problem is/was.(not your fault, youve been amazing) im gonna keep practicing with my original to see if i cant figure this thing out. maybe compare file settings to see what doesnt line up. and did you do the weighting, or is that auto weight cuz i noticed some legit shading and wondered if that makes a difference?(i just put hardness and strength all the way up and color the parts i want to move

Return to posts index

Thomas Pascavage
on Dec 11, 2011 at 1:23:58 pm

I GOOFED!!!!! OMG IM AN EFFIN RETARD!!!! adam youre fantastic, and will most likely fall out of your chair after hearing this. to anyone else who is experiencing this problem, make sure its in MODEL TOOL MODE.. it all deff came together after i went to that mode, rather than in faces mode..

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Dec 11, 2011 at 5:25:45 pm

Hey, it's all good -- as long as you got it working. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]