MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Engraving-style shading using Sketch & Toon in R13

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared FlynnEngraving-style shading using Sketch & Toon in R13
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:39:10 pm

Hello there,

I'm going to be working on a project that involves jazzing up a client's existing logo in Cinema, and I've run into a brick wall in my R&D stage.

Basically the logo has an engraved or woodcut-looking shading effect to it, similar to what you'd see on the Presidents' portraits on an US dollar bill. Another example would be the National Parks Service logo-- check the background of their website here: http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

I'm looking to recreate that look, but applied to the 3D geometry I'll be creating; basically the rules are:

-Angle of the strokes should be more or less horizontal, but given to deviations based on displacement of geometry

-Weight of the strokes should be defined by the amount of light on a given area-- dark areas get bolder strokes than lighter areas. Alternatively, this could be a "faked" effect that would also be driven by the angle of the geometry.

In my research I've gotten sort of close, using the Pen (Calligraphy) preset in my Sketch material and applying it only to the Contour of the geometry in my Render Settings (see attached image). But I'm still pretty inexperienced with Cinema and I'm hoping some among you fine folks might have some advice for me.

I will happily provide any additional info that I may have missed. Thanks in advance!

Jared Flynn
Motion Graphics Designer / Lead AE
Lone Wolf Documentary Group

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Engraving-style shading using Sketch & Toon in R13
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:48:12 am

I think your best bet will be to use the Sketch Hatch Shader rather than the sketch effect itself. Sample scene: 3384_hatchexample.zip

Return to posts index

Jared FlynnRe: Engraving-style shading using Sketch & Toon in R13
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:11:21 pm

Wow, thank you so much for this Adam! This is incredibly close to what I'm after, leaps and bounds beyond where I'd arrived on my own.

It looks like the only real limitation of this is that the strokes' weight isn't affected by the view angle, which is part of why I thought S&T would be the way to go. I would rather like it if the placement of the hatches could be relative to the camera position rather than the object's UVW.

All the same, this gets me WAY closer than where I started, so thank you very much for taking the time!

Jared Flynn
Motion Graphics Designer / Lead AE
Lone Wolf Documentary Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]