MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Getting an extremely reflective gloss finish

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay McDonaldGetting an extremely reflective gloss finish
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 10:43:14 am

I'm a fairly novice Cinema user. I had to use it for a uni project earlier in the year but I haven't used it for around 6 months now so I'm a little rusty. Anyway I'm looking at recreating this intro for another uni project.

All the basic animation is done I'm just onto making it look nice. How would I go about getting a similar looking material finish as on the CBS logo? I'm looking for it to be really glossy and reflective like in the video. I'm kind of failing at the moment trying to recreate it.

Any help would be fantastic.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Getting an extremely reflective gloss finish
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 11:56:58 pm

The main thing is to have something appropriate to reflect, or else use an image (preferably HDRI) in the environment channel. If you use reflection you should also use a dark color in the color channel so as not to dilute the relection too much.

Return to posts index

Jay McDonaldRe: Getting an extremely reflective gloss finish
by on Dec 4, 2011 at 1:44:16 am

Thanks for the reply. Is there any particular image to use that would give the desired look? I've tried a few and they're just not working.

Return to posts index

David BiederbeckRe: Getting an extremely reflective gloss finish
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:50:10 am

It's all about motion. A reflection does not appear to be that reflective if it, or the object doesn't move. Sometimes I rotate the sky object by a degree a frame, easily achieved with some espresso, or simple keyframes.

I also make sure I have a hard fillet cap (like 5 units with 1 subdivisions) to make light pop off the edges. If you are wondering about lighting, greyscale gorilla is obsessed with it. I use his hdri kit in just about every project I create.

All this is great, but it also helps to add planes with a luminance channel in your scene (or use greyscale gorilla's light kit).

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2010/03/hdri-light-kit-pro-demo-tutorial/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]