MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How big should I make a graphc that's going to wrap around an object???

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew WilsonHow big should I make a graphc that's going to wrap around an object???
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:19:26 pm

If I'm making a graphic in PS that's going to wrap around an object, what should it pixel dimensions be?

For example, If I'm modeling a can of Coke, I would make the material texture in PS and then wrap that material around a cylinder.

But If I'm moving the camera up close - wouldn't the graphic image become pixelated? What size graphics do you create?

Also, I'm having trouble putting a graphic with an alpha channel onto an object. How would I create a material that has color and bump properties and then put an image (like text) on top of that? Is PNG a good file format for putting an image onto an object?

Most of my work is for HD video. Thanks!

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: How big should I make a graphc that's going to wrap around an object???
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:40:02 am

size: you need to make it big enough that it doesn't pixelate when your camera is at it's closest.

Return to posts index

William OgbunugaforRe: How big should I make a graphc that's going to wrap around an object???
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:43:36 am

Hello Andrew,
You have two major questions here.
First of all, I prefer creating my textures in 2048×2048 (taking into consideration the dimensions of the object. In your case, the cylinder, the texture should obviously be a rectangle maybe 2048 by 1400 or something like that.) you should make your textures as large as possible.

Second,there are many ways to blend two or more textures. You can create new material --> go to color(or whatever channel you want) --> click the arrow next to texture and select layer. Click the bar where "layer" is written to edit the layer. There you can add more than one texture.(at this point, you out to have created your textures in PS)
Each texture you add will cover the previous so, you can use blending modes to make underlying textures visible.

The best way to add text as you have described is by doing it in PS. that way you have more control over the texture and placement of the text. using the alpha channel in C4d will not produce the desired results.

CasTRO
http://www.thickntech.com

Return to posts index

Andrew WilsonRe: How big should I make a graphc that's going to wrap around an object???
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 2:00:33 pm

Thanks! That's some very helpful information.

I know in the past I've been able to take a graphic that has an alpha channel and wrap it around an object. I think I used a texture tag but I can't remember how... It looks like the texture tag needs to reference a material and then maybe you add the graphic with an alpha channel to the texture tag. I remember thinking there's got to be an easier way. I started dabbling in 3D back in the Infini-D days and sometimes miss the "more simple" days. Alas, with great power comes great confusion.

Can someone explain the difference between a texture tag and how and when you use it along with a material?

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: How big should I make a graphc that's going to wrap around an object???
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:52:53 pm

once you take a Material and drop it on an object it automatically generates a Texture Tag for that object. The texture tag is how you control the mapping/tiling/offset setting of the material on the object.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]