MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Pose Morph - Is point order important? How to change it?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan FloodPose Morph - Is point order important? How to change it?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:34:46 pm

Hi guys.

I'm not much of a character animator so I've never really had to use the pose morph tag before but a client recently requested a very specific morphing of one object into another and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to work. Apologies in advance for the long image (I know they can be annoying) but it's the best way I can think of to illustrate the issue I'm having. Seem to me that point order is of some importance when morphing from on object into another - in the structure window you can see that each point has it's own internal number assigned to it and I'm guessing that when a morph occurs that point number 30 will take the place of point number 30 on the morph target ... does anyone know if that's true?

And if it is true ... what can I do about it? How can I change the point order or otherwise get a nice clean morph from my base object into my target object? Any and all help will be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading :)

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Pose Morph - Is point order important? How to change it?
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:28:50 am

you can change point order in a spline (drag the points around in the Structure Manager) without any problem (at least not when I've done it) but if you try it with points in a poly object you lose polygons - you don't lose the points and can refill the polys but it's way too much work I would think.
If you planned it out right you might be able to do something with Nitroman's Magic Mesh

http://nitro4d.com/blog/freebie/magic-mesh-2-0/

Return to posts index

Alan FloodRe: Pose Morph - Is point order important? How to change it?
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:07:00 am

Thanks Brian. I appreciate the reply. I've been fooling about it for ages thinking I'm missing something - I was kinda convinced there was some setting or another that would set the points up to translate linearly to the closest point on the target mesh but I guess not.

Even if dragging the points around in the structure manager didn't destroy the polys .... that's still an awful lot of work considering there's 1,977 points in each mesh. Doable but boring as hell and time consuming to boot.

I'll see about hacking two separate passes together in AE. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Pose Morph - Is point order important? How to change it?
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:41:36 pm

Here's a morphing in After Effects tutorial: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]